Honored Contributor

Re: Free Adoption in Az this weekend

@Kachina624 wrote:

The only trouble is, there are many people who, if they receive something free, are of the mindset that it has no value and can be cast off.  I remember seeing a segment of "Animal Cops Phoenix" where a family adopted a dog in the middle of summer and were seen by a shelter worker walking the dog several miles home on hot pavement.  They didn't have a car.  I dont like these free shelter giveaways.

I don't like free adoptions either.  I think people definitely don't value their pets the same if they're free.  Also, they should be able to afford the pet because pet care is expensive.  Our state does the free adoptions, too, and it always makes me uncomfortable.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

They must be desperate to get rid of animals. When adoptions are free they run the risk of people frivolously taking on an animal when they really aren’t prepared or can’t afford to take care of it properly.  I like to think most animals adopted probably will go to good homes, so maybe overall it’s worth it.  

it’s so sad that shelters struggle with too many animals and euthanize so many. I appreciate dog and cat rescues who work hard to save what they can. 

Super Contributor

I understand what you are saying about free adoptions, but many of us can't afford to pay a few hundred for a dog.  The Arizona Humane Society charges 3, 4 or even 500 to adopt a dog.  On a fixed income, I could never afford that.  I can afford good food and vet visits as needed.  I can give someone love and security.  So, I applaud the free adoptions since it does keep many dogs or cats from being euthanized.  I would, however, make sure the adoptees realize potential cost and maybe even do followups.  Those followups could be for the benefit of the pet but also good public relations for the facility..... as in see how great this adoption has been.

Super Contributor

Wow.  Their website says they intake 100 pets a day.  And I would guess Phoenix doesn't have as many potential adoopters in the summer as in the winter months .     

That's a lot of animals to place.    

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

The only trouble is, there are many people who, if they receive something free, are of the mindset that it has no value and can be cast off.  I remember seeing a segment of "Animal Cops Phoenix" where a family adopted a dog in the middle of summer and were seen by a shelter worker walking the dog several miles home on hot pavement.  They didn't have a car.  I dont like these free shelter giveaways.

I agree, @Kachina624.  I didn't even want to open this thread.  I hope and pray that only responsible people accept this precious gift.  Do they do any type of background check on these people?  I realize that is asking alot, but this isn't always an ideal situation.  I know that shelters are overcrowded and that the staff is doing a what they can, but free giveaways doesn't seem like the answer for this. 

I hope these sweet animals only go to good and loving homes. 

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I completely agree.

Our local "humane society" is having a "clear the shelter day" today

All pets are $21.

All are chipped & spayed or neutered.

Cheap but not free

Whoever is responsible for a free give-away is no friend to animals.

Super Contributor

Please understand that without these free adoptions, euthanasia rates would be much much higher here.  I realize the free aspect does pose a risk but whats the alternative?  Take a chance on free placement or euthanize ones who dont get adopted in the time they are at the shelter?  These are very very few no kill shelters down here.

I saw that Animal Cops Phoenix episode too. I may be wrong, but I remember the shelter feeling it was an education issue and not neglect or abuse.  Unfortunately there are a lot of pet owners who dont understand how pets can suffer in both heat and cold.