Honored Contributor

Re: Frankie's Ophthalmologist Visit

@NickNack All the best to you and Frankie. Maybe it will turn out with better results than you think. Hugs.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

@NickNack.  I had to backtrack as I somehow missed your orginal post on this subject.  Those speciality vets are wonderful.  You're lucky there's one in your area to which you can take Frankie.  We'll all keep our fingers crossed that the inflamation will decrease and Frankie will soon be on the mend.  Many people have pets that require daily medication; be glad you dob't have to give injections.  I'd have a problem with that.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@NickNack.  I had to backtrack as I somehow missed your orginal post on this subject.  Those speciality vets are wonderful.  You're lucky there's one in your area to which you can take Frankie.  We'll all keep our fingers crossed that the inflamation will decrease and Frankie will soon be on the mend.  Many people have pets that require daily medication; be glad you dob't have to give injections.  I'd have a problem with that.

Thank you @Kachina624.  Yes, I'd rather give eye drops than injections.  I haven't had any trouble putting the drops in her eyes. I fostered a dog with diabetes one time and had to give insulin twice a day.  That wasn't really that difficult, but I was glad I didn't have to do it all the time.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

I know how stressful it is when your pet isn't well. Luckily, Frankie has you to make her as comfortable as possible, & she has medication to help her. Try to take it one day at a time (as cliche as it sounds), & avoid thinking about what might be wrong. Keeping you both in my prayers...

Respected Contributor

Itll be ok. You'll do whatever is necessary, and stay positive around her. I know it's very tough (been there taking care of sick animals) but they need a positive environment. She already knows your giving her the best care possible!! Keep it up!! Gonna be ok😊.
I'm glad you have insurance, gosh, the expenses.
My hubby looked into it for our rescue Gabriel, with many health issues and a broken hip, but I think he said it was too expensive, not really sure what it covered, but so great, in your situation it's a help!! Hang in there, your doing a good job with Frankie!
Esteemed Contributor

My best wishes to you and Frankie.  Positive thoughts being sent.  

Regular Contributor

so much easier to say than to do...one step at a time, one foot in front of the other.  drops every day and next week will take care of itself. don't borrow trouble, just treat what you know today. love and proper medicine today and the next and deal with next week, next week.

Frankie needs love and attention and spoiling, not worrying and saying "what if".

Honored Contributor

Thank you @luvmyjewelry @meallen616 @graciesmom1003 @PamfromCT  @Dazlin  @Foolywooly11  @nomless  @phoenixbrd  @denisemb  @SXMGirl  @elated @Greeneyedlady21.  Thank you everyone.  I hope I didn't leave anyone out.  I'm going to try to take your advice and not stress so much about this.  

Frankie pooped outside before we went into the Vet's office today, and I noticed she had mucus in her stool.  I asked the ophthalmologist if it could be related, and he said no.  I guess she has some kind of infection.  If she still has mucus tomorrow I'll have to take her to her regular Vet this week for something for that.  Frankie is never sick.  This is so unusual.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

My Vet thought Frankie had a corneal ulcer that was healing, but she wasn't positive and wanted me to see an ophthalmologist.  I posted about this last week (Frankie's Vet Visit).  Today she did see the ophthalmologist.  She does not have a corneal ulcer.  He said the film over her eye wouldn't allow him to see very deep in her eye, so he isn't positive what's going on.  It's very inflamed.  She has a film on top and redness around her eye.  The only way he could see deeper in her eye would be to do an ocular ultrasound, which he felt would be overkill at this point.  He also said she had three little bumps on the corner of her eye that were strange. 

He kept her on the antibiotic drops and added a steroid drop to get the inflammation down.  He wants to see her again.  He thinks the redness will go down in about a week and he'll be able to tell more about what's going on when we go back.  He told me I should be able to tell some improvement in the redness in about a week.  If the redness or pain gets worse I should bring her back immediately.

He said this could be an autoimmune disease that has attacked her eye.  She may need drops for the rest of her life.  If it is an autoimmune disease it will not travel to other parts of her body.  I'm really stressed about this.  I feel so sorry for her.  She's taking gabapentin for pain.  I'm very glad I have pet insurance right now.  I had to fill the steroid drops at the pharmacy, and they were over $100.  I'll get reimbursed 90%.

@NickNack, I am joining everyone here with prayers for Frankie to get well. Also, that 2019 will bring health and happiness to all of you. You have been so loving to Frankie,your furbaby and I am sure Frankie loves you for all you have done & are doing.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, poor Frankie.  Let's hope that the new year brings good health for Frankie and that the mucus is no big deal.  If only they could talk!  We would definitely feel much better.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!