Respected Contributor

Re: Frankie's Crate Rest Situation

I forgot.

On the outside potty I carried her to a designated spot and used the 6 foot leash to let her choose to potty just in that area. She got a treat after going. It became automatic in a few days. I took her out about every 3 hours. I would let her sit in a grassy spot for a few minutes but no patrolling around.

She still wants to go to that area to potty.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks @doxie1 .  I am going to really try to get her to walk a much shorter distance to find a potty spot.  She's just never had to do that and it hasn't worked when I've been trying it.  I've read that you're supposed to use a 6' leash and stand in one place while she finds a spot within that area.

I ordered a new bed for her that's coming today.  As soon as it gets here I'm going to turn her x-pen into a smaller area.  

Another problem is that every time I get up she stands up if she's awake.  When I had her in the small crate she did that, too.

I have a list of questions to ask the Vet about tomorrow.  I've put the loop on the list.  It is the Assissi Loop, isn't it?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@doxie1 wrote:
I forgot.

On the outside potty I carried her to a designated spot and used the 6 foot leash to let her choose to potty just in that area. She got a treat after going. It became automatic in a few days. I took her out about every 3 hours. I would let her sit in a grassy spot for a few minutes but no patrolling around.

She still wants to go to that area to potty.

@doxie1   I hadn't read this post when I responded about the 6' leash area in my last post.  I'll put treats in my pocket when we go out.  That's a good idea.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

What's the Frankie report today?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack 

What's the Frankie report today?

@Sammycat1   I think we're both kind of getting used to the situation.  She looks at me like she doesn't understand why she has to be in the x-pen.  It makes me feel so bad.

She walked around the yard way too much this morning.  The last two times I've taken her out have been much better.  I've led her around just as far as the leash would extend (I think it's a 6' leash, but it may be the 5' one), and she went in that area.  Then I carried her back into the house.  

She has her appt. tomorrow morning for another neurological exam and bladder ultrasound.  I don't think about her thickened bladder wall that much since the disc problem has happened.  I really hope it's possible that a thickened bladder wall is just normal for her and doesn't mean anything.  The test for transitional cell carcinoma came back negative, so that was good.  It can also mean cystitis, but I don't think she has that.  

I ordered a new bed for Frankie with an orthopedic mattress.  It finally got here today at 6:45.  I was so anxious to put it in her x-pen, but it was all rolled up.  It said to allow 24 - 72 hours for it to unfold and get into shape.  

Thanks for checking on us.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

NickNack

As I think of things I did I am posting them for you.

In talking with my vet we had developed a plan where I would take her out first thing in the morning and then every 4 hours until bedtime.

Week two we got to take her out every three hours.

For the alone bit we decided that since I already had her out of the crate and picked up that I could have her sit in my lap while keeping her back still for a while before I put her back in the crate.

While in my lap she got to eat peanut butter and be loved on gently.

Well this seemed to help her look forward to coming back in the house so maybe it helped her potty faster.

She loved the alone time with me and the peanut butter.

When she went back to the crate she was satisfied because she had pottied and had some food on her tummy.

I also think it helped that her crate was near the chair I sat in so she could see me, hear me and not feel as isolated.

I usually used the lap time as the loop time as well.

She still likes to get in that position in my lap even if she is not getting looped.

I hope everything goes well for her.

doxie

Honored Contributor

@doxie1   @Sammycat1   Last night Frankie woke me up having a seizure.  It lasted at least 8 minutes.  I was able to record part of it for the Vet.  I called the ER to see if I should bring her in or wait util  her Vet appt. today.  They said since it lasted so long I should bring her in.

They put her on anti-convulsants and got a complete history from me about what has been going on.  She is blind now--temporarily from the seizure hopefully.

There are many things that this could be, and none of them are good.  When this whole thing started she woke me up howling in the middle of the night.  I thought that was because of pain, but the ER Vet said that could have been a seizure.  She told me to record it if it ever happened again.

The ER wanted to keep her for 24 hours, so she is there now.  She is stable, and all of her vitals are good.  She's still blind.  The daytime ER doctor will call me probably this afternoon.  I am so worried that I might lose my little girl.

My regular Vet just called.  I had an appt. with her this morning that I had to cancel.  She and I both think that the whole wobbling and falling thing could be because of a seizure she had the night she was howling.  That can happen after seizures.  

We have a wonderful ER.  All of the Vets are Board Certified.  The ER Vet mentioned going to UT for an MRI of her brain.  When my Vet just called she said that was the next step.  She thinks that Frankie will go straight from the ER to UT.

I am so worried about her.

-Henry David Thoreau

Super Contributor

@NickNack @I am so sorry to read that Frankie is having more problems. I truly hope they will find out what the problem is soon. I understand how you feel and will pray for you and your fur babies. I really hope things get better for you soon. 

Valued Contributor

I am so very sorry to read this news. Prayers being sent for dear, sweet Frankie and for you. I pray that Frankie's sight is restored and a treatable diagnosis is made quickly.
Respected Contributor

@NickNack 

I check in all the time to read about Frankie's recovery...I am so sorry she had a set back.  Hopefully this vet will find the source so your mind and soul will be comforted.  Cannot wait to read that Frankie is home with you!