Honored Contributor

Re: Frankie's Crate Rest Situation

[ Edited ]

@Sammycat1   I love that Frankie is playing cat games on the ipad!  Does she love them?  Does she like the brush thing beside her?  Does she go under it?  I've thought about getting one of those for Henry.  Where did you get it?  There are so many, and some of the ones on Amazon don't have good reviews.

Frankie is doing better today.  I have figured out that if I stay in my room and watch TV or do something other than be in the living room with her that she doesn't have to go out as often.  That's what I've been doing this afternoon.

She did get up and use the potty pad in the middle of the night.  I heard her but didn't get up with her.

Today was the last day for her to take a whole prednisone tablet.  Tomorrow she goes to 1/2 tablet, so that may make things better, too.  I hope so.

This morning I went to a catering place that sells casseroles and things.  They're doing curbside pick-up now so I got a couple of things to eat.  Then I went to Wild Birds Unlimited and did curbside pick-up of bird seed.  I also went to Starbucks and got an iced latte.  It was nice getting out of the house for a little while. Have you been getting out much?

I've been going to my sister's usually once a week but have been picking up my groceries curbside or having them delivered.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

Frankie LOVES all things iPad and TV.  If it's got a big enough screen, she's all over it.  We bought her arch at Pet Valu. I don't know the brand, because I cut the tags off of it at Christmas. We liked the bristles on these because they are softer than others we've seen. She goes through it, grooms her face and back with it, and considers it her "theater of operations" while in the living room--she rests on it and hauls her catnip toys there.

I'm glad to hear that Frankie continues to improve and that you figured out a potty regimen! You've got your hands full...and your sister's recovery on top of it--good thing you got out and picked up an iced latte.

I've been trying to get my errands together in one lollapalooza, so I'll hit the vet tomorrow for Frankie's refills, the CVS for ours and the grocery store. I'd kill for the chance to browse around in a bookstore right now. But, hey, it's nice just to get the mail and feel fresh air on my face!

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1   I think I'd like to get one of those self grooming arches for Henry.  Maybe I should see it in person, though, to check the softness of the bristles.  I'll wait until things with Covid-19 calm down and go to PetSmart.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@Sammycat1   I think I'd like to get one of those self grooming arches for Henry.  Maybe I should see it in person, though, to check the softness of the bristles.  I'll wait until things with Covid-19 calm down and go to PetSmart.

@NickNack 

She went bananas over the arch, and she is almost always tentative about a new toy.  I went to the Pet Valu (U.S.) site, and they show an arch, but it's not Frankie's.  I'll ask a friend who is an asst mgr there where they came from. She's on maternity leave now, but she's on a "text" basis with Frankie for all her toy needs, LOL.

Wait til I tell you about Frankie's new "floor-based" hammock furniture. Yep, we're suckers.

Honored Contributor

@Sammycat1 wrote:

@NickNack wrote:

@NickNack 

She went bananas over the arch, and she is almost always tentative about a new toy.  I went to the Pet Valu (U.S.) site, and they show an arch, but it's not Frankie's.  I'll ask a friend who is an asst mgr there where they came from. She's on maternity leave now, but she's on a "text" basis with Frankie for all her toy needs, LOL.

Wait til I tell you about Frankie's new "floor-based" hammock furniture. Yep, we're suckers.

Thank you @Sammycat1 .  I'd love to see a picture of the hammock and hear all about it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

Sorry I've been away for a few days.  Today's a tough day for me, the anniversary of a the passing of a special pet who was a "soul mate" -- you know what I mean.  He's the one I'm writing a book about.

Still my thoughts turn to you and Frankie. I've been concerned about your back and her gait.  I hope she's able to hold on to the gains she's made from medication and rest.

Let me know how you both are doing. Heart

Honored Contributor

I'm sorry yesterday was a tough day @Sammycat1 .  I would love to read your book when it's finished.  All of my pets have been special, but I know what you mean by a soul mate.  I have the picture of mine on my dresser.  

My back is much better.  I've figured out that if I'm not in the living room with Frankie so much she's able to go longer between potty breaks.  It's much better for my back.

She's walking around the yard too much though.  She's only supposed to go a few steps and then potty.  She has never done that.  She sniffs all over the yard to find a place to go.  I can't seem to control that.

It took almost a week for her harness to be delivered, and I can't use a collar on her anymore because of her neck.  She was running sometimes, and I couldn't stop her.  At least that has stopped.

She's not improved as much as I had hoped she would have, but it could be a combination of the two above things.  I will probably have the MRI done to see exactly what we're dealing with.  I'm still going to do eight weeks crate rest before surgery though.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack 

Thanks for your kind words about my soul mate pet and book.  I'm chipping away at it. You know how these anniversaries can still be gut wrenching.

Good news on your back--it sounds like you and Frankie have established a potty rhythm. One good thing is that she is feeling better to parade around about the yard, although it's not helping her keep inflammation down. Easier said.

I completely agree with you about the full 8 weeks of crate rest before surgery. Then you can say to yourself that you tried all methods you could before resorting to it. I'm praying that she still has a chance to avoid surgery.

You asked for more on my Frankie's hammock. One day recently I was at the pet store to get Frankie's specialty food and I saw up on the top of the racks a hammock of sorts, one meant to rest on the ground but giving the pet some elevation and "snuggability" possible with a window-based shelf or hammock. 

It has a stable frame and the hammock part is a quilted but more firm mini-mattress.  I bought it instantly.

It's really helping her; she has to elevate her shoulders when resting now that she has the injury and arthritis.  Note in the one picture a white memory foam--this is what I used to elevate my leg after knee replacement. We're talking medical grade. Of course, she took that over, too:

Frankie hammock 3 SZD.jpg

Frankie hammock 4 SZD.jpg

Honored Contributor

I love her hammock @Sammycat1 !  The foam you used after your surgery looks like something she would love, too.  

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

I love her hammock @Sammycat1 !  The foam you used after your surgery looks like something she would love, too.  

She burrows in there when it's time for her injectable pain medication...all we can see from the side is her ears sticking up.  Smiley Happy