Trusted Contributor

Re: Frankie Is Eating Bird Seed

Something to consider:  rats love bird food, too. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Shaunac wrote:

@Shaunac  Yes, but I have fed the birds for over twenty years and have never seen a rat.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

You could switch to a bird seed block - seeds are stuck on the block - woodpeckers love it.  No loose seeds.  Or - switch to a platform feeder - 2 sided and cardinals love and will only eat where they can perch.  Fill with loose seeds from the top.  Most birds don't hang from wire to eat.   That way less seeds drop to ground for dog to eat.  Just suggestions.

Esteemed Contributor

Looking in depth at picture of feeder.  How do birds eat from it?   Just strange.  On the platform design - chickadees  nut hatch and other birds select a seed and have to go to a tree branch to bang the shell open - so they can eat the seed.  How - where do birds stabilize themselves on that to select a seed?  I'm totally puzzled by your feeder.  LOL

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Shaunac wrote:

I stopped feeding the birds when I saw little mouse (?) footprints in the snow all around the feeder.  Then I started having trouble with mice in the garage.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@NickNack.  I can't tell the diameter of the feeder, but I'd look for something like a round aluminum cake pan drill holes in it and attach with wire to the bottom of the feeder.  Drill a few holes in it so water can drain out.

The fence is a good idea too.  I put a fence long the back of my house using green metal posts and 3' high green fencing from Lowe's.  This was for the collies; you wouldn't need something that high.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@NickNack

I, also, have been feeding the birds in our back yard for many years.  Our dog will also eat the bird food - she's about 85 lbs.  So far, no problem.  I have different feeders, one w/ the tray & one cylinder style, along with suet feeder & another cylinder one for the sunflower seeds only.  We've been thru many different feeders and always the same problem .. the squirrels always manage to get to the feeders by jumping from branches or just climbing up the poles (we even have that black squirrel preventer) & they still get up it.  So, for us the trays aren't much of a help because both the squirrels & both small & larger birds spill them on the ground.  Sorry, I don't have a good solution.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

You could switch to a bird seed block - seeds are stuck on the block - woodpeckers love it.  No loose seeds.  Or - switch to a platform feeder - 2 sided and cardinals love and will only eat where they can perch.  Fill with loose seeds from the top.  Most birds don't hang from wire to eat.   That way less seeds drop to ground for dog to eat.  Just suggestions.

@fthunt  The bird seed block is the bird seed cylinder feeder I'm talking about.  When I added that to the mix that's what she's eating.  When it gets to the end a chunk of it falls to the ground.  I think I'm going to have to get a different cylinder feeder that has a tray to catch it.  

I have a hopper feeder, a nyjer seed feeder, and the cylinder feeder.  There's a large tray under the hopper feeder.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@fthunt wrote:

Looking in depth at picture of feeder.  How do birds eat from it?   Just strange.  On the platform design - chickadees  nut hatch and other birds select a seed and have to go to a tree branch to bang the shell open - so they can eat the seed.  How - where do birds stabilize themselves on that to select a seed?  I'm totally puzzled by your feeder.  LOL

@fthunt  It has a cylinder perch that goes around the feeder.  They perch on that.  They're also able to perch on the seed itself since it's stuck together in the cylinder.  I have woodpeckers, bluebirds, nuthatch, titmice, chickadees and other birds that love it.  The problem with it is that it's expensive and they finish it in a few weeks or less.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I think those seed cylinders make such a mess.  As others have noted, seed on the ground attracts undesirables like mice, chipmunks, and squirrels.  I guess it's okay as long as the cylinder is placed far away from the home.

On another note, I hope Frankie is able to see the opthalmologist soon.  Smiley Happy