Honored Contributor

I have a bird feeding station in my back yard.  It's been there for many years, and have never had a dog interested in eating the seed.  Recently I got a seed cylinder feeder.  When it gets to the end of the cylinder it falls on the ground.  Frankie discovered this yesterday and has been eating the seed.  I picked up the part of the cylinder seed that fell on the ground, but now she's eating the other seed.

I Googled this, and it usually isn't harmful.  She could eat bird poop which could give her a problem, though, and if she eats too much seed she could get a blockage.  I hate that she discovered this.  I love feeding the birds and don't want to stop.

I know there really isn't any advice anyone can give me.  I just wanted to comment about it I guess.  Has anyone else ever had a problem with their dog eating bird seed?

This is the bird seed cylinder feeder that I have.  I'm thinking about getting one with a tray underneath it instead.  Unfortunately she's discovered the other bird seed under the feeders now, too.

500x500-birdfeeders-seedcylinder.jpg

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Frankie Is Eating Bird Seed

I had a chihuahua once who appeared to be in pain so the vet treated her for fecal impaction.  And low and behold she had downed a shelled peanut (for the jays) whole and there it was, still with both halves together and unchewed.  I was advised to have a wee word with her, but she just ignored me.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh mine eats it sometimes.  I scatter seed on the ground and have suet feeders hanging.  65 lb dog.  Never had a problem, and clearly sometimes it is not digested.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

My dog will try to eat the sunflower seed chips that fall underneath mine. She will dig and make a mess. I just get after her when I see her doing it. I also have to rake up any of the chips that the birds fling out of the feeder. So far, it hasn't hurt her, but it's a pain.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

Those darn kids get into everything!  I don't know what you could do except put a tray under the feeder.  Do you think spraying the seed on the ground with sour apple (Petsmart)

would help?  Do you have a Wild Birds store in your area?  You could call them for advice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Those darn kids get into everything!  I don't know what you could do except put a tray under the feeder.  Do you think spraying the seed on the ground with sour apple (Petsmart)

would help?  Do you have a Wild Birds store in your area?  You could call them for advice.

@Kachina624  Yes, we have Wild Birds Unlimited.  I buy my bird seed there.  I think all I can do is get the kind of seed cylinder feeder that has a tray under it.  I don't think it's possible to put a tray under the one I have now, but I will ask them.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Frankie being a relatively short little girl maybe you could put up one of those  garden boarder fences around  the bottom of the birdfeeder area where most of the seed ( and bird poo) falls. that would look neat and keep her from dietary indescresions. maybe plant some flowers around it in the spring.

How's Team Frankie doing with her eye treatments?

Hope all is well with you, Frankie and Mr. Henry.

Honored Contributor

A friend of mine who adopted a lab that flunked out of the dog service program because she was too wild and not trainable for that type of work, got into a big bucket of bird seed and ate way too much.

She got a blockage, and began throwing up and she got bloody diarrhea.  She was taken to the Vet and x-rayed.  Her whole digestive system was backed up.

eventually, all this passed, but not before she ripped the intestinal  and rectal lining with all of that ruffage. She survived, but it was really bad. I'll spare you the details.

My friend does not store bird seed anywhere the dog can get a hold of it.  This beautiful dog is very clownish and has gotten into a whole lot of things and done some really crazy things over the years.  She is very sweet, but is wild and crazy if you turn your back.

It is always best to put your seeds up and out if the way.  Dogs sometimes will eat some crazy things, but turn  their nose up at dog food.  Go figure.

Honored Contributor

@candys mine wrote:

Frankie being a relatively short little girl maybe you could put up one of those  garden boarder fences around  the bottom of the birdfeeder area where most of the seed ( and bird poo) falls. that would look neat and keep her from dietary indescresions. maybe plant some flowers around it in the spring.

How's Team Frankie doing with her eye treatments?

Hope all is well with you, Frankie and Mr. Henry.

@candys mine  That's a great idea to put up a border fence around the area.  I'm just getting ready to post an update on Frankie's eye.  A new problem has developed.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack

That Frankie is a busy Girl!

My dog Robbie (a Lab) does that too.  Or he used to.

I have a cylinder feeder, and I like that it spills a bit for the ground feeders, I like to give them treats too.  

So, I used one of those small 24” high roll up fences, hooked two of them together, and set it up around a goodly area of the seed fall.  Of course he could have jumped it, but he did not.  It was not attractive, but after @ 3 weeks he no longer visits that area.  Fence now down, but waiting if needed.

The seeds are still falling, and the ground feeders are still getting a bit which makes me feel happy for them.  I couldn’t stand to take away that bit of help from them.

I’m just a softy.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras