Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@NickNack:  check Amazon for well-reviewed digestive enzymes, as well as probiotics, for dogs.  They'll help her GI system, and the probiotics have the added benefit of strengthening her immune system.  Good luck and kisses to Frankie.  8) 

@feline groovy  I thought about that and read something that probiotics and prebiotics for dogs are unregulated and more often than not don't have nearly the amount that they say they do.  I was going to order Proviable, which is what my Vet recommends and I used for my last dog.  It would be more expensive than just buying a new bag of food considering I would have to buy it a couple of times in order to get through the bag of food.  I couldn't even be sure it would help when she would continue eating the chicken food which could be causing it.  I did consider it though.  Thanks for the suggestion.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

I give my guys digestive enzymes at times, you can buy what humans take.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Re: Frankie Has Gas

[ Edited ]

@NickNack

Didin't know that re: the CFU's in canine probiotics, but glad to hear you have good one recommended by an expert.   

But digestive enzymes (which include Amylase, Lipase, & Protease) are different than pro and pre -biotics.  Heck, I take them myself (along with a strong probiotic) everyday - not the pet ones, of course.  ;-)

If you're interested, here's a reasonably-priced, well-reviewed item from Amazon that would help now, and also be good to keep around for any future GI issues:

Product Details
NaturVet Digestive Enzymes Plus Probiotic
$13.99 to $21.75 depending on size 
Get it by Tuesday, Jan 23, FREE Shipping on eligible orders
Honored Contributor

Thanks @feline groovy.  That's not a bad price either.  I may go ahead and order it.

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Re: Frankie Has Gas

[ Edited ]

@feline groovy  I was going to order those digestive enzymes that you posted about, but Frankie's gas has greatly diminished.  I'm feeding her half lamb & barley and half chicken now, and she isn't having much of a problem.  I think I'll do it this way until I run out of the chicken and then switch completely to the lamb.  It's nice to be able to breathe fresh air in my house again!  😀

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NickNack

So glad that Frankie is feeling "fresher". Hope she continues to improve without the need of any more aid in her digestion. It's wonderful to know, though, that there are so many products out there to help our pets when they have a problem, large or small. Even when I was growing up in the 90s there wasn't many options for their health. So hooray for Frankie! 

Honored Contributor

My dog gets gas when he eats something he isn't supposed to.  I switched his food once (over time) and it got worse.  I talked to the vet and he said to go back to my original food, that my dog likely had a little tummy trouble and to watch him.  Going back to his original food did the trick.