Super Contributor

Re: Fourth Of July Noise and our pets

Here's what has helped us:

1.  Thundershirt

2. Turning the air purifier to Max - it is loud!

3.  Herbal chill pill like Calm Comfort (I got on the Amazonian site)

4.  Bach's Rescue Remedy spray sprayed on paws and ears

Honored Contributor

Someone near my house buys those illegal fireworks that explode with a deafening boom...actually shake the house it feels like.  They are the worst!

Regular Contributor

We adopted a rescue who is deathly afraid of storms and loud noises. A thundershirt did nothing for her.  For storms we use Quiet Moments by NaturVet.  For bad storms or fireworks I have a subscription for Xanax from the vet. 

Trusted Contributor

@SeaMaiden ~ I don't blame you for not wanting to go the pharmaceutical route.  When Dres was alive she was terrified of fireworks ~ you couldn't calm her no matter what.  We got some anti-anxiety meds from the vet and it was awful.  It was like she was drunk.  It really scared me seeing her like that.  Now ever since Dres passed our other girl Betty is terrified of thunder (never was before ~ we could be outside and it would start thundering and it wouldn't even phase her).  I'm worried about the 4th but we always stay home, keep everything closed, a/c on and TV blaring.  There is a website called Drs Foster & Smith that sells all sorts of items for pets.  They are very knowledgable and may be able to help you find the product that is right for your pet.  Best of luck to you ~ I share your pain, believe me!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Julie928  and all who replied Thanks so much for your  thoughtful and helpful posts!

I have purchased several natural things and a thundershirt.  I will go that route for now.  It will be the first 4th with Zazu....see how it goes. If he just seems like he needs more, I will look into the drug therapy.