Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

@YorkieonmyPillow wrote:

@Havarti Already inquired; cost-prohibitive for me. Two of my dogs are seniors and on daily medication. Plus there is my grandpuglet's spay coming up.

@jaxs mom The mom is still here. I'd let her inside the nurse the kittens twice a day.

@hoosieroriginal It wasn't my neighbors who had all the cats; it was the people we bought this home from.

@YorkieonmyPillow - call your local animal shelter and ask about some spay clinics that might be free?  Otherwise, you're going to have a ton of cats to get rid of in the future.  Explain to them that you have taken this cat in.  There is help out there for those things.

Yes this! Many areas have free spay/neuter for basically stray cats. These types of things are so frustrating for me. It is so irresponsible of the owners. 

I'm not "the owner" of these cats.

I didn't bring them here.

They don't belong to me.

They were here when we moved here.

I already looked into neutering/spaying BUT AS I SAID, I have my own pets to care for and cannot afford to pay for the cats that were already here.

Trusted Contributor

@YorkieonmyPillow.  You have a very loving heart for His critters.    I understand and appreciate what you have done.   I understand the extra expense our caring costs.  I am a retired widow on a very limited budget.

I live in a rural area with nonworking farms and feral cats.   About 4 years ago a neighbor and I caught 15 (over 2 years) feral cats and our local SPCA did the fixing for free.  Each cat got the necessary shots and at the end of the day I had to pick them back up and bring them back home.   All but 2 are still in the neighborhood and come twice a day for meals.   Now that the snow is gone and they can hunt I will not need as much cat food.   Our county, like many, has to many feral cats.   Our facility is a no kill organization and they do excellant work.  The last big snow brought 5 more cats to dinner.  Some are females bacause large strange males soon arrived and there are cat fights.  I now have to start over or the cat population will explode.   Uncaring people seem to think farms are a good place to drop unwanted cats.  My neighbor and I will try trapping again but it is harder this time.  We keep catching the fixed cats.  They like the treats and are no longer afraid of the traps.  We will do the best we can as long as the free neutering program is available.

The last 2  cats I caught were kittens.  The little female was found to have a heart murmur.   When I heard this I decided to keep her and her brother inside with me.  They are now 2.5 and both doing great.  She is half her brothers size but has had no problems.

Thank you for what you did.