Honored Contributor

I've been fostering with collie rescue since 2003.  I've seen a lot of dogs go through my house.  I was sad to see some go; could hardly wait for others to leave.  I kept one but have adopted other fosters dogs.  I now have 4 rescues, two are very old.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

I would love to foster a greyhound - but I KNOW I would end up adopting and right now my hands are full with my two dogs.  I have a friend who has fostered over a hundred in her lifetime, along with dozens of foster children.  I get kuddos to anyone who can do it.  I know my sister-in-law fostered children and it broke her heart when she had to give them up. 

Honored Contributor

I used to foster Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for a couple of different rescue groups.  I ended up adopting three of them at various times.  It was really hard to give them up.   The way I could give them up would be to realize that I didn't have room to foster more if I kept them.  Foster homes are really needed.

When I was fostering I had three dogs and three cats at one point. I had a hard time affording all the pets.  Now I only have one dog, partly because of budget and partly because I'm getting older.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Regular Contributor

My husband and I are dog people, not cat people, but found oursIelves with three tiny kittens in our yard on Memorial weekend many years ago.  They were so small we had to feed them with a dropper until they could eat food.  Even though we had no intention of keeping them, we fell in love with them.  We babied them for weeks until we found another foster mom who took them and she found them homes.  She kept one and found homes for the other two.  We were lucky in that she was great, she allowed us to come by twice and visit with them to see how they were doing.  I had dogs, so we couldn't keep them, but it was hard to see them go, I don't think there is much getting around that.  Just try to make sure they go to good homes and that should help when you have to let them go.  The woman we gave the kittens to even followed up with us on their progress.  Best of luck to you!!

Frequent Contributor

We tried to foster two beautiful brothers. After the 3rd day, we discussed their future outcome. Their future would be one of three scenarios. The brothers would be adopted together Smiley Happy, separated Smiley Sad or euthanizedSmiley Sad. They are big boys, each weighing over 100 lbs. so we realized adopting both would be very unlikely. Separating them was not an option after seeing the bond between them. After our discussion, DH went to the shelter, paid the fees, & adopted them. Our lives have been so enriched by these dogs. I applaud those who can foster. We tried but could not let go.

Dogs are not my whole life, but they make my life whole.”
Honored Contributor

OMG those kitties are so cute.  I could never do it.  I'd keep them all because I'd feel guilty keeping a couple.  My 18 year old kitty passed in March and my heart is broken.  I try not to tempt myself into being in a situation where I could take a kitty home.  Not ready yet.  Good luck with the kitties.

Respected Contributor

Re: Foster Moms

[ Edited ]

Years ago we brought in 4 relatively feral kittens.  We hand fed them before their eyes were open.  We kept a male and a female, and the other two went to young sisters.  It was sad to see them go but I did get over it.

In 2009 we fostered a male that was brought in from a horrific puppy mill situation.  We already had two of the breed in our home so fostering was a no-brainer and they needed help (there were 400 dogs!).  I thought it would only be a few weeks, but it turned into a couple of months.  Foster fail!  We did return him but I called that very night saying not to adopt him out. He had totally bonded with my husband, and we loved him so much. We picked him up a couple of days later and we still have him. He has to be one of THE best dogs ever!Heart Heart

Honored Contributor

@annaboxer wrote:

facebook_1464315109354.jpg

Oh yea, I'd want to keep them all too. I still wonder how the kitten we didn't keep is. I really wanted to keep her, she was a long haired tortie. I kept her black smoke long haired brother and her short haired tortie sister though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

@05gage25 wrote:

Hats off to all those who foster...you are the best!!  I absolutely love cats, so I would fail as a foster because I'd have to keep them all!! My daughter is a cat magnet...she has had 3 strays bring their babies to her house. She found good homes for them, after keeping two for herself, but one couple let one run away when they opened their car door, and neither she nor I could sleep for weeks wondering if the little fellow was able to survive. Heartbreaking!

Car door? Why wasn't the kitten in a carrier? No cat leaves my house unless it's in a carrier. Stupid. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Contributor

I just want to chime in here and thank all of thsoe who are able to foster.  You are my real heroes in this world.  Thank heavens there are folks like all of you out there.  Also I would never be able to give up even one of those gorgeous black and white kittens.  I had two black and white cats for a number of years -- one a long hair and the other a short hair tuxie and they were the loves of my life.  I am retiring soon and will again be in the adoption business and I can't wait.  But this isn't supposed to be about me -- I really want to thank all of you for fostering.  You are the best.  (And no, deciding that you have to keep some of the kittens is not failing -- well, maybe failing as a foster, but certainly not as a human being who loves animals).