Esteemed Contributor

Re: For all the big dog lovers out there (and those of us that just love furballs) :)

Such great pics @momtochloe; thanks for sharing!  I love all dogs, but my heart belongs to the big ones.  Heart

Honored Contributor

Re: For all the big dog lovers out there (and those of us that just love furballs) :)

[ Edited ]

Ive always loved big dogs but after a tragic experience with my 80lb collie (avatar), I came to realize it was impractical for me to have a dog I can't lift and get on the floor to groom.  As my large dogs have succumbed to old age, I've acquired a sheltie and a cute mutt about the same size.They're 30-35lbs each and in a pinch I can lift them. 

image.jpeg

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@software

I am in the same boat.  I have an adopted 75 pound Chow/Lab, etc mix who is 14 years old.  I can't imagine having a small dog but it seems irresponsible to get a dog I cannot lift.  

Esteemed Contributor

Oh he was a real beauty, @Kachina624.  My current boy is a tri.  All of my other collies (4) have been sable and whites.  

Respected Contributor

If you love big dogs, check out "big fluffy dog rescue". Read their blog. Great organization. There's a special place in heaven for people who help animals

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1  I've always been partial to tris.  Even my sheltie is a tri, of which I see very few. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 Yes, that's true that it's rare to see a tri Sheltie.

I've always been partial to the sable and white collies.  When my last one died young and unexpectedly I was so completely devastated that it took me nearly a year to get another.  In the hopes that my next dog wouldn't remind me so much of the one I'd lost, I decided to get a tri.  I get more compliments on him than I have on any of my other dogs who, by the way, were all striking (and all from the same bloodline).

I've never been much of a fan of the blues, yet oddly they seem to be the ones that are always in the dog shows when rough coated collies are represented!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Citrine1  I've always been partial to tris.  Even my sheltie is a tri, of which I see very few. 

@Kachina624

I especially like the blue merle.

Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624

I especially like the blue merle, another pretty rare coloring.

@feline groovy@  @Citrine1  I've always liked the blues too but never had one.  When I had a smooth collie for a year nursing her through an auto-immune illness, I became very fond of them.  I could thoroughly brush her in 30 seconds. She had the usual sweet temperament.  Unfortunately, after $10,000 worth of medical treatment and constant care from me for a year, we lost her.  She was from the seizure of 150 purebred Collies from a hoarder in Texas. 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624

She sounds lovely inside and out.  Thanks for helping her.