Honored Contributor

🐕 For Those Who Crate Their Dogs 🐕

What do you think of these ideas?

Esteemed Contributor

Re: 🐕 For Those Who Crate Their Dogs 🐕

They are very nice.  I would, however, never leave my pooch with no escape in case of fire or unfriendly intrusion.

Cogito ergo sum
Trusted Contributor

I think it's a great idea making the crate part of the home decor. We had three dogs (they are all over the bridge now) and we had their crates lined up in the dining room which took up a lot of space in there. Also our dogs would sometimes use their crates as a place to go lay down even when they were not being crated-so this would be like having their own little private den.

@lolakimono You always find such interesting things in fashion and decor. I love reading your posts.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Honored Contributor

@abbalulu wrote:

@lolakimono You always find such interesting things in fashion and decor. I love reading your posts.

@abbalulu

Thanks!

You might know from my posts that I'm a cat person, so I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak. Cat Wink I thought it was a good use of the wasted space beneath the stairs.  

Someone will probably post here to debate the pros and cons of using a crate, but that's not my goal of the OP.Cat Indifferent

Esteemed Contributor

While it is always difficult to include crates in living areas, I am not sure these fit the purpose for those using a crate.  You do not want to isolate them from everyday activities.  There are some lovely end table type crates that look nice in family spaces.  Of course these are for well trained dogs not newly acquired puppies.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Super Contributor

I think they're a great use of space and very nice looking ... but, as always, it would depend on the dog. I once had a Chow Chow puppy that I put in a half-bath with a baby-gate across the door opening as his 'crate' when I couldn't devote all my attention to him ... he chewed the drywall and I switched to a regular crate in the livingroom.

If a dog does like this set-up, the only down-side I see is having to crawl in there to clean.

I've stopped using crates and use exercise pens now ... no more crawling into a crate  ... just open the gate and walk in ... much easier on my back.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lolakimono wrote:

@abbalulu wrote:

@abbalulu

Thanks!

You might know from my posts that I'm a cat person, so I don't have a dog in the fight, so to speak. Cat Wink I thought it was a good use of the wasted space beneath the stairs.  

Someone will probably post here to debate the pros and cons of using a crate, but that's not my goal of the OP.Cat Indifferent

ITA about lolakimono posts.

I promise I won't comment on crates on this thread.Woman LOL

Trusted Contributor

My stairs were outside my downstairs bedroom at the back of the house.  My little girl had her personal area under the stairs but open into my bedroom.   A very nice big bed but no door.  Sometimes she slept on my bed and sometimes on her own.  Her choice.   She would go to her "room" for quiet when I had visitors after she had said her hellos.  She loved people and was extremely active but in her later years, like many of us, she needed more alone time.  Seeing these pictures I wish I had given her a special front entrance to her room.

Honored Contributor

Those are pretty, I've seen those before, but I need to be able to move my crates around. Could be in 1 or the other bedrooms, or in the back of the car, to take her with us. I have 3 sizes. 

Respected Contributor

These are "cute", but I would never consider crating my best friend.  No reason to do so. He was trained when he first came to live with us not to jump on furniture, to respect the carpets, to keep his toys in one place and to leave his food in the kitchen or in his tummy.  He's a really good pup and a good friend. He sounds the alarm when someone comes near, and when someone comes in, he waits for his attention and never jumps on anyone.   Would you put your best friend in a crate for your convenience?  Not me. He likes being close to me, and I like it too.