Respected Contributor

Re: 🐕 For Those Who Crate Their Dogs 🐕

Yes, a pup needs confined to a safe area til trained when alone.  I have used baby gates for housebreaking.   I did not say not to crate.   My post was to urge those who do use crates to not use the understairs method for the reasons I stated (ventilation, limited vision).  I don't crate but I certainly understand that in some circumstances it is necessary.  Most all of my friends, relatives have pets, but none crate.  Judging from the forum posts, it must be a common practice, tho.

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono I think these examples are lovely and agree with some of the posters that crates have their place. I used one for a few months when we got our first dog when I had to run an errand. He was let out as soon as I got home. I put the crate away, then we rescued a little terrier and I used it for him when I ran errands (for his protection). He didn't need it very long and I was going to store it away again, but he loves going in it for his "safe place". He's very shy when company comes. It now doubles as an end table and his "safe place". Heart

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Super Contributor

I have a closet under my stairs.  There is a "mousehole" cut into the side of the closet so our under the staircase place is used for catboxes.  Out of sight but easy for all to access.