Honored Contributor

Food Fight! (Squirrel/Woodpecker)

Photos of the battle surfaced online showing a red squirrel perched on a tree stump with its paw in the air, as the screaming great spotted woodpecker squares off on the other side

'The squirrels are normally waiting for you to put nuts out for them, but the woodpecker arrived first and had to protect its territory, Crawford explained to news agency South West News Service.

'The woodpecker was on one side of the stump feeding on the nuts and as soon as it saw the squirrel it became aggressive towards it.

'The squirrel didn't back off at first but eventually it knew it had to because it wasn't going to get anything.'

'The squirrel had its paw raised and the bird had its beak wide open, it was like they were going to have a fight,' she said

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: Food Fight! (Squirrel/Woodpecker)

We have a box hanging on the tree with peanuts for the squirrels and a couple woodpecker blocks hanging too.  The squirels and woodpeckers both eat peanuts and woodpecker food and seem to co-exist pretty well in our tree.  It's the squirrrels who get after each other at the peanut box.  I have seen them come behind and butt the other of the of way. 

Respected Contributor

I have a squirrel who couldn't get to all the food in the bird feeder and ate a big hole in the feeder!!!

Respected Contributor

@KingstonsMom  American Ninja Warrior on steroids!   HA   Thanks for the picture and story, squirrels are truly adept at getting what they want.  We have a bird feeder out back and the squirrels are slick and climb my pear tree and leap to my feeder, they provide hours of cheap entertainment.

Honored Contributor

@Boomernichols 

We've had such a challenge keeping the squirrels from eating all of the bird food, even though they have their own feeder with peanuts and dried corn.

DH finally made a bird food platform on a tall metal pole, well of course the squirrels just climbed the metal pole, so DH greased it so they can't climb it.

It's such a hoot to watch the squirrels try to climb it now, but they keep sliding back down, LOL!

Yep, cheap entertainment while being stuck at home!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.