Contributor

Follow-up on my 8 Year-old Sheltie

Well after a sad weekend with my kids home and husband, we all spent the weekend spoiling Teddy, feeding him goodies, and sobbing, we decided this afternoon we are taking him to the Vet.

He is so not himself, just sleeps, and cries in his sleep.  Very seldom gets up , just to go outside and drink water.  He’s on heavy-duty pain meds, so he is out of it most of the time, no tail wagging, and no interest in toys, playing outside.  

I cant bear to see what he’s become.  How could this happen so quickly?  A few weeks ago, running, catching a ball, splashing in his doggie pool?  

I know now we are doing the right thing in letting him go, but my life will never be the same without him.  He’s taking a piece of my heart with him.

Honored Contributor

Re: Follow-up on my 8 Year-old Sheltie

It is very sad and I am sad for you.  We lost a sheltie to cancer.  We lost a chow.  I have lost several kitties to various and asundry illnesses and it never gets better.  The loss is so great and the memories so sweet.  It will hurt for a while but the hurt wears away to sweet, precious times and memories and God is good to keep His promise of time healing.   I am facing the loss of my dear husband and that is the saddest thing ever.  I am trying to be uplifted by knowing all the great times we have had are a good memory and the times we have had together, even the arguments were a part of us.  They were never severe, just day-to-day things and he did like to argue and that was a part of him.  I love him.  I am going to miss him more than anything ever.  Just hug your pup before he goes and let him know you love him.  That is all there is left to do.  You can cry.  Cry all you like.  It will be a good way to purge. Best of wishes for you and your family in this great loss.  

Respected Contributor

@AbbyK ~

My heart aches for you and your Family.  The hurt feels unbearable.  3 weeks for me, and I am still crying.  Please know that people here care.  Post when you like.  The ones here have helped me with understanding, caring, and much kindness.  

{{{Gentle Hugs For Your Broken Heart}}}Heart

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AbbyK I am so sorry, any pet lover knows your pain, but you have to remind yourself that you are doing the right thing, the ultimate sacrifice so that your baby is no longer in pain, I do know your pain, and my heart and prayers are with you and your family!  Sending hugs over the miles!

Now you sit at heavens gate pet loss.jpg

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

My deepest condolences on the loss of your dear Teddy. It's amazing how our furry kids just worm their way into our hearts. My Springer Spaniel, Zeke, is going to be ten in September. I can see him starting to slow down and it makes me sad that we won't have him for too many more years. Hopefully, he will be healthy to the end. I'm sure you gave your Teddy a wonderful life and had the courage to do what was best for him in the end. God bless.

Respected Contributor

I am so very sorry, 8 is such a young pup, it is so easy to think we will have them for many many years.........it hurts even more when their time is cut short.

You are a kind and loving pet mama.

Honored Contributor

I am so very sorry to read this.  My heart breaks for you.  I've had several pets die from cancer, and they have all gone downhill very suddenly.  I've had to make that same decision for each of them.  I'm so sorry for your loss.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

These posts always make me bawl. Bless you and your family for doing the right thing for your sweet doggy. He has been well loved and cared for and will go to doggy heaven in peace, surrounded by those he loves and who love him.

I believe good St. Francis watches over all the animals in heaven. Silly? Maybe. But when I've lost pets it has given me comfort.

He has been cherished and that will always stay with him and he will live on in your hearts.

Super Contributor

May you feel only 'peace & comfort' Abby,

knowing that you set him free out of

love -- Hugs to you & your family.

Respected Contributor

Oh Abby,     

Thinking of you ...... 

Image result for picture cloud . dog