Valued Contributor

Folliculitis on kitty's chin

Kiki eats off her own set of Fiestaware. I recently bought her a puzzle board for treats and kibble. Even though I wash it often, she developed folliculitis on her chin, just below her lower lip. I think because she often uses her mouth to work the treats out of her puzzle.

The vet prescribed a benzoyl peroxide gel and it really irritated her skin after only two applications. So now I've been told to hold a paper towel soaked in hydrogen peroxide on the area for 30 seconds twice a day for three days to bring down the inflammation, and it seems to be helping. Plan is then to re-start the BP gel every 48 hours, which I'm not sure about.

If your cat has had folliculitis, how was it treated successfully?
Honored Contributor

Re: Folliculitis on kitty's chin

[ Edited ]

@lynne6was7   Will it not go away on it's own if you quit using the treat/kibble puzzle as well as following the Vet's instructions?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

Our dog had something similar, the vet said to wipe off their mouth area with an old clean kitchen towel after they eat or drink, it's worked good for far, it's like pimples on humans. 

Valued Contributor

I have taken away the puzzle board. She loved it though. She runs to the spot when I go to the pantry for her kibble. I'll start wiping her chin more often, after her canned food meals for sure. I appreciate the suggestions.

I just hate to re-start the benzoyl peroxide gel, and start this problem again.
Respected Contributor

I used 3% Hydrogen peroxide on a cotton ball, about three times a day, on my male cat ..

I'd use a "wetted" ball of cotton, and gently apply it. No rubbing because it was already inflamed. 

I got rid of his plastic water bowl ( an old lock n lock) and now use a stainless steel bowl, a LARGE one. It seems my cat doesn't like when his whiskers touch the sides of the water bowl....

I only feel on glass plates ( no plastic plates, no paper plates) and I wash them immediately in hot soapy water when he's done eating. That way no bacteria left on the plate.

In my cat's case, his cleared pretty quickly using the peroxide. I was surprised. 

Hope it works for your cat too!!! Maybe don't apply that medication unless absolutely necessary. See how the peroxide works!

Honored Contributor

If she loves the puzzle board so much, maybe just allow her a few treats and/or a bit of kibble occasionally in the puzzle board and wipe her face immediately afterwards with a wet cloth?  Instead of using the board all the time.  

Provided her face clears up first, that is.

Respected Contributor

One of my dearly departed catkids had this on her chinny chin, her doc just said it was acne and said it would go away on its own, it eventually did go away on its own. Nothing in her daily dealings changed, it just appeared one day.

It probably couldnt hurt to wipe her chin once or twice a day but I would just use warm water or even maybe some diluted peroxide?

Honored Contributor

@lynne6was7   I just searched on Amazon for a stainless steel puzzle board for cats and couldn't find one.  If they don't make them that's a shame.  I did a Google search, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

Thank you all so much for your suggestions. We will put them into practice.
Esteemed Contributor

@lynne6was7, search on amazon using the term cat puzzle feeders then filter the results by checking ceramic and stainless steel.  Perhaps one of them will be an acceptable substitute for the puzzle board your cat misses.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.