Valued Contributor

Lowes sells a contraption that deters squirrels from feeders.  My neighbor has attached a plastic bathroom trash can on the pole upside down.  Looks stupid but seems to work.  I am the oposite and feed the squirrels.  I am a rehabber from storms and hurricaines of grey squirrels.  They are released when ready.  My fliers are adorable and I am picking up a baby this week.  Very sweet and loyal. Unconditional trust.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Fiero Woman

Please post pictures of your flyers -- I would love to see them!  I know I can look them up, but if you have time, it would be nice.

As to keeping squirrels out of a feeder, I don't think it can be done Cat LOL  I've tried many things, including the method you describe, and they just end up jumping to the feeder.  They are smart and never give up.  Every two weeks, I was buying 40 pounds of sunflower seeds!

However, here is the good news.  I am in a heavily wooded area with many nut trees and tons of acorns, so the squirrels are never hungry.

In particular, there is a large hickory nut tree right on the edge of the woods near my house.  The husks are constantly flying to the ground from all the squirrels dining in the tree.  It is amazing how they break through the toughest of nuts!

In addition, I keep several bird baths filled with fresh water and one is heated during the winter so it does not freeze.

I frequently see them drinking at my feeders and that makes me happy.

Valued Contributor

My baby, Southern Flying Squirrel,  is bonding and pictures are coming soon  Such gentle creatures but you must earn their trust.  I am a volunteer at the Florida Wildlife Hospital in Florida.  What a joy to work there and give nature a chance in spite of human intervention in their natural habitat. Nothing is so wonderful as helping an injured animal and see it released into its habitat.  God's creatures.

Valued Contributor

Actually, two Fliers.

Honored Contributor

I would never purposely harm them, but they are not cute when they get into your home or garage and cause damage...not to mention chew your electrical wired and cause your home to burn down.

They are God’s creatures better left to live outdoors away from me.  I have my home squirrel proofed until they figure out how to get in again.

Respected Contributor

I know this is off topic but thought I'd add...please don't use rope or bungee cords to hang  feeders or buckets out of squirrels reach, the deer will knock them down get the cords wrapped around their heads & the bucket handle can slip around the neck or get hooked on antlers. This happened to a doe & a buck the in !ast 3 years, they would run themselves to exhaustion because of the bucket banging against them, had a difficult time eating & the other deer would have nothing to do with them. Tried to get help but there was no one who would dart them until they could no longer move at all so they suffered. I know they are killed by cars & hunting (we hunt & donate the meat to charity) but a death like that is unnecessary. 

Valued Contributor

Can't imagine a  Flier would cause such damage.  They prefer trees with hollows/holes in them, higher the better, and inside is very unusual for a Flier.  Very odd and out of character.  Moth balls with repel without harming them.  Their sense of smell is very keen.  Did you actually see them?

Valued Contributor

They are 3 inches and prefer the outdoors.

Esteemed Contributor

@Fiero Woman

Can you post pictures of your little friends? 

I am very curious.

Thanks

Valued Contributor

TI will take some pics of them this evening about 9.  They are nocturnal and are not active until about that time.  They are friendly even when I wake them up to play with them during the day.  I adore them.