Valued Contributor

Anyone have flying squirrels as pets?

Esteemed Contributor

Maybe if I was crazy!!

Respected Contributor

Not as PETS, but as PESTS.  When we lived in Atlanta, our house sat high on a hill in back, which put our chimney at about a four or five story height.  Several times flying squirrels came down the chimney and into the house. They wrecked havoc!!!!!  Torn drapes, stains on walls and ceilings, rips in furniture etc. etc.   DH and I used butterfly nets to trap and remove them.  Hopefully never again. Almost as bad as the owls that came in the same way from time to time. Such memories the mention of them brings back!

Respected Contributor

What the flying squirrels is this post about Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

Welcome to the Community @Fiero Woman

I have never seen a flying squirrel in real life, they look adorable in pictures.

I know someone who was considering buying a sugar glider as a pet.

Related image

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@birdmama  Looks somewhat like a bat.. similar face,  big ears, and "wings".

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Perkup wrote:

Not as PETS, but as PESTS.  When we lived in Atlanta, our house sat high on a hill in back, which put our chimney at about a four or five story height.  Several times flying squirrels came down the chimney and into the house. They wrecked havoc!!!!!  Torn drapes, stains on walls and ceilings, rips in furniture etc. etc.   DH and I used butterfly nets to trap and remove them.  Hopefully never again. Almost as bad as the owls that came in the same way from time to time. Such memories the mention of them brings back!

@Perkup Two words. Chimney Cap.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624  Yeah, that's a picture of a sugar glider.  From what I've read (very little) they really bond with humans which is why I told the person who was thinking about it that it might not be a good idea for her.  LOL

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Super Contributor

If you're considering one, make sure you have a vet who will deal with them. Also s/he might have some good advice for you.

Honored Contributor

I have a Flying squirrel on drinking glasses and a comforter. The Flying squirrel also has a moose for a friend. 

I must admit the Flying squirrel glass is a favorite. Whenever I have company - that seems to be the glass they reach for first.