Respected Contributor

Re: Flight Attendant forces dog into overhead bin

@Ketrawrote:

kitcat51 Wrote: The dog owner was forced to do this, she protested but the flight attendant assured her it was safe...when the plane landed & the dog was discovered not breathing the owner did her best to revive it. Yes it awful, yes it shouldn't have happened but to call for the owner to be jailed is ridiculous. I read the story on Fox & still don't understand why the dog wasn't put under the seat..if the carrier wasn't the correct size the airline should have put the dog in cargo before it was allowed to be carried on the plane. The whole story doesn't make any sense & it's hard to understand why after the dogs death the flight attendant insisted she didn't know there was an animal in the carrier...what? Anyway I'm sure there will be to come about what happened. I do feel sorry for the 9 yr old daughter & the dog, just a rotten needless thing to happen.

@kitcat51 The owner kept refusing to put her dog in the overhead compartment because she knew it was unsafe. She did it anyway. All she had to do was say I am not putting my dog up there, and ask to get off the flight and report the incident to United Airlines management. There were plenty of witnesses listening and taking pictures to back up her story. She couldn’t be bothered getting her children, dog and herself off the flight to lodge a complaint. Instead, she let them stuff her puppy in an overhead compartment to suffer and die. I believe in forgiveness, but I also believe in accountability. She’ll get my forgiveness after she’s held accountable.

Simply take emotions out of it & use common sense...the owner protested but relented because she was following the flight attendants instructions & that's what we're suppose to do, it's their job to keep passengers safe. The dog wasn't shoved it was placed in the overhead & yes I think it was stupid but I have no idea why it was done & neither do you so some of the questions that need to be answered are.....Was the carrier to big to fit under the seat & if it was why was it allowed on the plane?  Once.the dog was placed in the overhead did the owner or fight attendant check on it? Have animals been placed in the overhead before? Why did the flight attendant insist she never knew the carrier had an animal in it? Why did the dog die? Sadly, animals that die in cargo too so you accept risks when you fly with them. I'm sure the dog owner will receive many death threats, calls to throw her in jail, shaming & all the rest of sickening nonsense that goes on with social media. The owner never intended to harm the dog so the idea she should be held accountable or needs anyones forgiveness is ridiculous. I'm sorry the dog died & a family lost their pet.

Esteemed Contributor

If English was not this families first launuage as someone stated, miscommunication may have played a big part in this event.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Trusted Contributor

Overhead bins are NOT airtight.

Valued Contributor

DON'T OPEN THE LINK ~!

I did .... not realizing a photo would be shown.  As an owner of two precious dogs, there are no words ... just tears.

Trusted Contributor

@kitcat51 I agree, take all emotions out of it and use common sense. Anyone that would allow their animal (housed in a soft carrier) to be put in the overhead storage compartment of a plane because the flight attendant “said so” has no common sense. People shove extremely heavy bags, and backpacks up there, and that pet carrier was soft-sided cloth. Duh!! What do you think might happen to the little dog with no oxygen as well. You stated “she was following the flight attendants instructions & that's what we're suppose to do”. Using that logic passengers are suppose to do whatever they’re told while boarding the aircraft, even if what the flight attendant is asking them to do is insane. I’m sorry, I and many others have a brain, and if someone asks us to do something crazy that will kill our pet, we speak up and report the problem. Now that’s common sense. If she didn’t think putting the little dog up in the overhead storage compartment would harm it, I would say she may be mentally challenged. I do believe both the owner and flight attendant should be charged with willful neglect of the dog because they were entrusted with the welfare of the dog. Beyond that, the family and airline attendant need prayers as I’m sure they didn’t set out to kill an innocent dog that morning. However, actions or lack thereof have consequences in a lawful society.

Esteemed Contributor

Heartbreaking. So sorry for this puppy.

He did not have to have his life ended.

Honored Contributor

I’m still fuzzy with the details.

Why didn’t the owner put the carrier under the seat in front of her?

What e.x.a.c.t.l.y did the dog died from? Crushed or no oxygen?

Are the overhead compartments airproof?

I can’t help but think of the multitude of stories we hear of

animals getting in between drywall, down City pipes or

in odd predicaments, and they seem to end up ok.  

(Growing up on a farm, believe me...I’ve seen cats get in

weird places!)

I realize the airline’s apologized & taking full responsibility, 

but I would like to hear the thought process behind the whole thing. 

Respected Contributor

@sidsmomwrote:

I’m still fuzzy with the details.

Why didn’t the owner put the carrier under the seat in front of her?

What e.x.a.c.t.l.y did the dog died from? Crushed or no oxygen?

Are the overhead compartments airproof?

I can’t help but think of the multitude of stories we hear of

animals getting in between drywall, down City pipes or

in odd predicaments, and they seem to end up ok.  

(Growing up on a farm, believe me...I’ve seen cats get in

weird places!)

I realize the airline’s apologized & taking full responsibility, 

but I would like to hear the thought process behind the whole thing. 

I am guessing that she and her two children had two bulkhead seats which means she had no under seat storage area.  People seated in bulkhead only have overhead storage.  Assuming I am right I do not understand why another passenger did not offer up their under seat storage.  

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51wrote:

@Ketrawrote:

kitcat51 Wrote: The dog owner was forced to do this, she protested but the flight attendant assured her it was safe...when the plane landed & the dog was discovered not breathing the owner did her best to revive it. Yes it awful, yes it shouldn't have happened but to call for the owner to be jailed is ridiculous. I read the story on Fox & still don't understand why the dog wasn't put under the seat..if the carrier wasn't the correct size the airline should have put the dog in cargo before it was allowed to be carried on the plane. The whole story doesn't make any sense & it's hard to understand why after the dogs death the flight attendant insisted she didn't know there was an animal in the carrier...what? Anyway I'm sure there will be to come about what happened. I do feel sorry for the 9 yr old daughter & the dog, just a rotten needless thing to happen.

@kitcat51 The owner kept refusing to put her dog in the overhead compartment because she knew it was unsafe. She did it anyway. All she had to do was say I am not putting my dog up there, and ask to get off the flight and report the incident to United Airlines management. There were plenty of witnesses listening and taking pictures to back up her story. She couldn’t be bothered getting her children, dog and herself off the flight to lodge a complaint. Instead, she let them stuff her puppy in an overhead compartment to suffer and die. I believe in forgiveness, but I also believe in accountability. She’ll get my forgiveness after she’s held accountable.

Simply take emotions out of it & use common sense...the owner protested but relented because she was following the flight attendants instructions & that's what we're suppose to do, it's their job to keep passengers safe. The dog wasn't shoved it was placed in the overhead & yes I think it was stupid but I have no idea why it was done & neither do you so some of the questions that need to be answered are.....Was the carrier to big to fit under the seat & if it was why was it allowed on the plane?  Once.the dog was placed in the overhead did the owner or fight attendant check on it? Have animals been placed in the overhead before? Why did the flight attendant insist she never knew the carrier had an animal in it? Why did the dog die? Sadly, animals that die in cargo too so you accept risks when you fly with them. I'm sure the dog owner will receive many death threats, calls to throw her in jail, shaming & all the rest of sickening nonsense that goes on with social media. The owner never intended to harm the dog so the idea she should be held accountable or needs anyones forgiveness is ridiculous. I'm sorry the dog died & a family lost their pet.

Look I get that some people are more comfortable defying another persons instructions. I'm one of those people. Yes, I've stood there stating exactly why some things are not safe to do, IRL. No it wasn't on a plane but that wouldn't stop me. More people need to learn to stand up for themselves and those they're responsible for. No one with any amount of common sense would have believed that flight attendant that it was safe to put a dog into the closed over head compartment. I'd have absolutely let her called security and they could have landed the darn plane and let me off.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

According to accounts from fellow passengers on United Flight 1284, a flight attendant demanded that a woman traveling with the puppy and her two children place the puppy in its carrier inside the overhead bin for the duration of the flight. The woman protested, witnesses said, but the flight attendant assured her that the dog would be safe, and told her the family would not be allowed to travel if she refused to stow the dog in the bin.

When the airplane landed at LaGuardia Airport and the owner opened the overhead bin, the puppy was no longer breathing.

“This was a tragic accident that should never have occurred, as pets should never be placed in the overhead bin,” a United spokeswoman said in a statement Tuesday. “We assume full responsibility for this tragedy and express our deepest condolences to the family and are committed to supporting them.”

According to United policy, small pets can travel in the cabin in a hard-sided or soft-sided kennel at a charge of $125, as long as the carrier can fit in the space underneath the seat in front of the passenger.

Several fellow passengers who watched the distraught family recounted the incident on social media. The story was later picked up by The Points Guy, a travel consumer advocacy blog.

“I just flew into LGA and witnessed a United flight attendant instruct a passenger to put her dog bag in the overhead bin,” tweeted passenger Maggie Gremminger. “It was clearly a dog and while the customer was adamant about leaving it under the seat, the attendant pushed her to do so.”

Gremminger said she and another passenger were concerned that the dog would not be safe inside the overhead bin, but assumed that the flight attendant’s adamancy meant that there must be air ventilation inside the compartment.

“They INSISTED that the puppy be locked up for three hours without any kind of airflow,” another Flight 1284 passenger, June Lara, wrote in a Facebook post early Tuesday. “They assured the safety of the family’s pet so wearily, the mother agreed.”

The puppy whimpered through the beginning of the flight but eventually quieted.

Finally, when the plane landed and the dog’s owner opened the bin and pulled out the dog carrier, Lara recounted, there was no sound.

“There was no movement as his family called his name,” Lara wrote. “I held her baby as the mother attempted to resuscitate their 10 month old puppy.”

When the dog’s owner realized what had happened, Gremminger said, “she sat in the airplane aisle on the floor crying.”

“I am disgusted and traumatized. Pets are family,” Gremminger said. “How could a trained flight attendant instruct a passenger to place her dog in that bin. It was her job to understand the plane and it’s rules/limitations.”

United said in its statement that the airline is conducting an investigation into the incident “to prevent this from ever happening again.”

Photos of the dog and its travel carrier posted by Lara suggest that the puppy may have been a pug, a dog breed that is particularly susceptible to suffocation if not given adequate access to air and ventilation.

“This little guy fought hard for his life, filling our flight with his cries until he finally ran out of breath,” Lara wrote in his post. “United Airlines does not care about the safety of their furry travelers. This poor family paid $125 for their pet to be murdered in front of them. There is no excuse for the pain this family is suffering.”

In recent years, with increasing numbers of travelers wanting to bring their pets along, airlines have implemented special programs to accommodate the animals’ needs — and to assure owners that their pets will arrive at their destination healthy and comfortable.

And United has leaned hardest into the pet transportation market. In 2017, the airline transported 138,178 animals — more than any other commercial air carrier, 27 percent of the total number of animals transported by all the major airlines in the United States.

United says its special “PetSafe” facilities are intended to help safely transport animals that are not allowed to travel in the cabin of the aircraft with their owners. At some airports, dogs, cats, and other small and midsize animals are carried to and from the plane in temperature-controlled vehicles, and the airline says it has veterinarians on staff to monitor the animals’ welfare as they wait to board.

At O’Hare International Airport in Chicago, pets traveling as cargo are kept in a separate state-of-the-art building.

“The overwhelming majority of dogs and cats have no incidents,” United spokesman Charles Hobart said last month in an interview about the airline’s accommodations for pets.

But that doesn’t mean that there are never tragic outcomes. According to a recent report issued by the Transportation Department, last year there were 24 recorded incidents of an animal dying while being transported by a major U.S. air carrier.

Of those 24 incidents, 18 took place on United Airlines.

Ok, so the woman decided she would allow her pet to be put in the overhead bin. She could have left the plane and the dog would be alive today. She had a way out but chose to play russian roulette with her dog's life. This is true stupidity. When they interviewed her, the daughter had to speak because I think the mother was not fluent in the English language. The daughter stated they heard the dog barking and barking but could not get up because of turbulence on the flight. They tried to get a flight attendant's attention but no go. I really find this hard to believe.  They are always walking up and down the aisles. This whole scenario seems rather strange. The dog suffocated while people sat in their seats and heard this dog. What in the world has happened to compassion in our society????