Honored Contributor

Re: Flight Attendant forces dog into overhead bin

@ccassadaywrote:

That is so sad. Was it a puppy?

Yes, 10 months old.

Valued Contributor

I would never, ever allowed my pet to be put in an overhead bin.  Both are to blame, especially the owner, baby or not.  Hostess for being stupid.  They would have had me in handcuffs before they put my pet in an overhead bin.  Shame on the owner.

Trusted Contributor

CarmieWrote: “It seems the Pet’s owner did everything right, until she was forced to allow the flight attendant to stuff the dog into the overhead bin.”

@Carmie You seem to think the pet owner had no blame. If you truly love an animal and have any common sense, you know that an animal in a soft carrier cannot be stored in the overhead storage compartment. Other people throw their heavy carry-ons and backpacks up there. How could it be safe. The dog died from either being crushed or lack of oxygen. The owner should have asked to speak to the flight attendant’s supervisor, even if she had to get off the plane to report it. There were plenty of witnesses. No one intimidated the dog’s owner. The owner went along with the kooky suggestion. No one made her put her dog up there. The pet owner was asked to do something by the flight attendant that was absolutely crazy, and she should have protected her helpless dog. I hope the pet owner and flight attendant are held accountable for the little dog’s needless death. I’m sure they won’t though, as the value of an animal’s life is insignificant to most in our society and our laws reflect that fact.

Honored Contributor

just horrific...

Honored Contributor

@Ketrawrote:

CarmieWrote: “It seems the Pet’s owner did everything right, until she was forced to allow the flight attendant to stuff the dog into the overhead bin.”

@Carmie You seem to think the pet owner had no blame. If you truly love an animal and have any common sense, you know that an animal in a soft carrier cannot be stored in the overhead storage compartment. Other people throw their heavy carry-ons and backpacks up there. How could it be safe. The dog died from either being crushed or lack of oxygen. The owner should have asked to speak to the flight attendant’s supervisor, even if she had to get off the plane to report it. There were plenty of witnesses. No one intimidated the dog’s owner. The owner went along with the kooky suggestion. No one made her put her dog up there. The pet owner was asked to do something by the flight attendant that was absolutely crazy, and she should have protected her helpless dog. I hope the pet owner and flight attendant are held accountable for the little dog’s needless death. I’m sure they won’t though, as the value of an animal’s life is insignificant to most in our society and our laws reflect that fact.

There were several witnesses who said the owner kept refusing, over and over again.  This went on for a while, until she was intimidated into doing so.  She apparently did not know her pet would die.  No one else thought so either, because everyone heard the dog barking for a while. The attendant put the carrier up there,not the owner.

I would not have done it...I would have left the plane if I had to. But I am not willing to place blame on a young women with a newborn and another small child.  She sat on the floor of the plane with her dead dog and rocked back and forth when they landed.  She was clearly heartbroken.  Why punish her now?  I am sure she feels bad enough.  Yes, she should not have allowed it, but in my heart, it is time to show her mercy.  

We all wish we would have done things differently on occasion.  We should not be so quick to judge others.

We will be forgiven the way we forgive others.

Trusted Contributor

Carmie Wrote: There were several witnesses who said the owner kept refusing, over and over again.  This went on for a while, until she was intimidated into doing so.  She apparently did not know her pet would die.  No one else thought so either, because everyone heard the dog barking for a while. The attendant put the carrier up there,not the owner. I would not have done it...I would have left the plane if I had to. But I am not willing to place blame on a young women with a newborn and another small child.  She sat on the floor of the plane with her dead dog and rocked back and forth when they landed.  She was clearly heartbroken.  Why punish her now?  I am sure she feels bad enough.  Yes, she should not have allowed it, but in my heart, it is time to show her mercy.  
 We all wish we would have done things differently on occasion.  We should not be so quick to judge others. We will be forgiven the way we forgive others.

@Carmie The owner kept refusing to put her dog in the overhead compartment because she knew it was unsafe. She did it anyway. All she had to do was say I am not putting my dog up there, and ask to get off the flight and report the incident to
United Airlines management. There were plenty of witnesses listening and taking pictures to back up her story. She couldn’t be bothered getting her children, dog and herself off the flight to lodge a complaint. Instead, she let them stuff her puppy in an overhead compartment to suffer and die. I believe in forgiveness, but I also believe in accountability. She’ll get my forgiveness after she’s held accountable.

Honored Contributor

@Ketra  I don’t think she cares if you forgive her or not. It’s not important.

I will pray that she can learn to forgive herself. She has to live with it. It will be a difficult journey for her.

Trusted Contributor

Carmie Wrote: I don’t think she cares if you forgive her or not. It’s not important. I will pray that she can learn to forgive herself. She has to live with it. It will be a difficult journey for her.

@Carmie If the flight attendant told the dog owner to put the baby carrier with the baby in it, in the overhead storage compartment, I don’t think she would have done it. However she willingly put her little puppy in that overhead storage compartment in a soft pet carrier that offers the protection of a gym bag. I’m sorry, but the situation speaks for itself. Either she is mentally challenged to have done what the flight attendant asked or it was a thoughtless, cruel act that she should be held legally accountable for. No one is saying the woman shouldn’t be forgiven, but she should be held legally accountable as someone would if they did the same thing to a little baby.

Valued Contributor

How would any person in their right mind think a dog could live in an overhead bin? Did they keep the lid open and if not, of course the dog would not get enough oxygen to live. Owner with a child and a baby and bringing a dog onboard used very poor judgment for sure. The airline person was equally nuts too.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The dog owner was forced to do this, she protested but the flight attendant assured her it was safe...when the plane landed & the dog was discovered not breathing the owner did her best to revive it. Yes it awful, yes it shouldn't have happened but to call for the owner to be jailed is ridiculous. I read the story on Fox & still don't understand why the dog wasn't put under the seat..if the carrier wasn't the correct size the airline should have put the dog in cargo before it was allowed to be carried on the plane. The whole story doesn't make any sense & it's hard to understand why after the dogs death the flight attendant insisted she didn't know there was an animal in the carrier...what? Anyway I'm sure there will be to come about what happened. I do feel sorry for the 9 yr old daughter & the dog, just a rotten needless thing to happen.