Respected Contributor

Fleas! Need your help with an old dog

As you know, Sedona is over 16 years old and in bad health.  I found a flea on her today and two on Story.  Story can be on only certain flea meds as a greyhound.  But I hate putting that stuff you put between their shoulder blades on Sedona since she's in such bad health - any recommendations?  She's on Sentinel for heartworm.  TIA. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Fleas! Need your help with an old dog

@hoosieroriginal wrote:

As you know, Sedona is over 16 years old and in bad health.  I found a flea on her today and two on Story.  Story can be on only certain flea meds as a greyhound.  But I hate putting that stuff you put between their shoulder blades on Sedona since she's in such bad health - any recommendations?  She's on Sentinel for heartworm.  TIA. 

There is such a thing as a flea wipe.   Not sure they need anything more than that at this stage, I agree with you.  For 1 flea or 2, don't use the systemic products unless vet recommended.

Best scenario, check with your vet.

Trusted Contributor

Ughhh ~ I hate that!  The vet told us that fleas and ticks are really bad this year.  That being said, we put our three dogs on Bravecto.  I HATE giving our dogs that stuff but unfortunately it's necessary.  Given the age of your baby, I would definitely check with the vet as to what can safely be given to her.

Respected Contributor

Oh gosh fleas are so hard to get rid of. I went through this and still kinda am now. I have a 15 year old chihuahua and tried some flea stuff that is not toxic but has peppermint and clove oil I bought the drops put them on all of them and the fleas just kept getting worse. I finally gave in and took all 4 of my dogs in to the vet and got the 3 month pill. It's the only thing that seems to work for us. You can try bathing constantly but the eggs are the problem. I would bathe and pick each flea off with tweezers and drown them and they still had them. Best bet is to talk to your vet and see what your dogs can tolerate. Much luck to you. 

Honored Contributor

The best thing I found in the years before the current array of pesticides was on the market, was a product called Flea Busters.  It's a desiccant, not a poison.  It works by drying up the flea bodies and eggs so they can't hatch.  It's a powdery stuff you put in your carpets and the "wells" in furniture.  It's harmless to everything except fleas. 

When I used it, you had to pay to have somebody come out and apply it but now you can buy it and do it yourself.  Read the reviews.  It's available at Amazon and chewy.com.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use the seresto collar,  i think if you look up using food grade diamonthus earth,i think i spelled that wrong ,you can use that.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Valued Contributor

I used to use Vectra 3d and Sentinel Flavor tabs...then I stopped using the Vectra, and I just use the flavor tabs and bathe my dog with a combination of Dr Bronners Eucalyptus Castille soap and Tea Tree Casile Soap. It 's worked well. Some years are bad and I go back to the Vectra 3d

Keys Soap also makes dog products with Neem oil in them and they work really well.

Although I've never used diatomeaceous earth for fleas I have used it for stomach problems myself and it works great. Got food grade diatomaceous earth from amazon and it's good stuff.

There is an article on using it for fleas on diatomaceousearth dot com...natural flea control for dogs 

Respected Contributor

ONLY use natural methods of flea control. I used a vet prescribed topical on one dog, & NEVER will again. It was against my better judgement, but the vet assured me it was safe (this was years ago). My Golden hated having it applied, even though it took seconds. She would look at me like "nooooooo". I probably only used it on her a max of 4-6 doses. 

She started having episodes of gasping breathing difficulties. I took her to the vet, they ran a blood panel, etc., & found nothing. A few months later she died suddenly. I KNOW it was that topical PESTICIDE!!!

If you go to the Only Natural Pet site, you'll see they sell natural flea collars, sprays, internal, washes, things for the carpets, etc. When you eliminate fleas inside the house, you have to do everything at once. Vacuum daily, wash the pets bedding, bathe the dog, then spray the dog well with a natural spray.....clean, clean, clean.....all on the same day. I even Rug Doctor the carpets.

When my dog goes outside, I spray him with natural spray every single time- rubbed in head to toe. Yes, it's kind of a pain, but worth it. The fleas are like cockroaches this year, & it's hideous. I've never seen it this bad. 

Occasional Contributor

I have a 10 year old short haired dachshund. I stopped using any type of chemicals 8 years ago.

For flea and tick control, I spray the product WONDERCIDE on her each morning.

Thankfully, this is very effective and she has had no problem with pests.

WONDERCIDE'S ingredients include cedar oil and lemongrass.

Good luck with your fur baby!

Valued Contributor

My 12 year old Bichon is sensitive to flea meds and got a reaction to every one I tried.  I purchased a lavender pet shampoo and bathe her regularly with it.  I recently read somewhere that you can just add a few drops of the lavender essential oil to any pet shampoo and it will repel fleas.  I've used this method for 2-3 years now and my dog has had no fleas.  I do give her the heart worm meds and they don't bother her.