Re: Fleas!! Can't get rid of them! HELP

Try treating your yard with Dr.Pye's Scanmask Nematoes. I use it in my yard and have never had a flea problem. If fleas are in your house try sprinkling salt on your furnishings and rugs leave on overnight and vacum. The salt drys up the fleas and flea eggs. You may have to do it more than once. Keep your pets away when you do this. Put them in an other room. Good luck 

Super Contributor

Hello doxie,

I liked reading your posts about flea removal. 

Do you think rubbing banana peels on my cats would work? lol. But I think I will use this tip if I start to have a flea problem. My little white female has suffered in the past, but since we moved, she looks beautiful. All her fur has grown back & she no longer has scabby sores on her body. I haven't done anything differently with her. I just check her everyday because it only takes one flea bite to start her dematitis allergy.

Cats lack an enzyme to break down essential oils, so lemon, orange, lavender [esp], etc are toxic to them. The product I use is cedar that has the toxic part of the cedar oil removed. The food grade DE is great, even though it does take a while to kill the fleas [& anything else with a hard shell], because it can be safely ingested.

If you remember the name of the "flea" tree, could you post back?

Thank you for your information Doxie.

Path

Respected Contributor

patheticcosmetics

I would not put any oils on cats due to their sensitivity. I have used a flea comb dipped in either a lemon water or apple cider vinegar water solution. 

The banana [eels on the animal will not work I think. The flea loves the banana peel and goes after it to eat it. It kills the flea when they eat it. I would be nervouse that the banana peel on the cat may make him/her attract fruit flies. The friend that has used the banana peels  put the peels in paper plates on the floor in rooms where the fleas showed up. At the same time she also used the detergent/water in small saucers by lights. Someone else posted about this one.

You are doing something right to have gotten rid of the fleas. I  have heard of people bathing cats, combing them with a flea comb dipped in  vinegar, and using the DE.

I do have some of these plants planted around the  foundation of the house.

Also catnip is not liked by fleas or mint so you could probably plant them. A neighbor rubs catnip on their cat. I was nervous to plant it because it would attrack cats from all over.

I have put sprigs of rosemarry, basil and lavendar on the floor in the house in a net. I leave it on the floor for the day or several hours. The cat does not bother it. I do not leave him alone in the house with something different of the floor.

I have alos put sprigs at the doorways and people have to step over them to come in the house. It is funny that people are not only used to it now but some of them have started doing it since they have seen some fleas.

The fleas were predicted to be rough this year and it seems they are.

Your cat sounds like a beautiful cat and I am glad she is doing better.

doxie