Valued Contributor

Re: Fleas!! Can't get rid of them! HELP

@gardenman wrote:

My cats don't like the soapy water so it hasn't been a problem. They prefer to drink out of the plant saucers over anything else, but they avoid the soapy water.

I am going to try it!  Your cat in your profile picture is so cute!

Honored Contributor

@Lovemyboots wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

My cats don't like the soapy water so it hasn't been a problem. They prefer to drink out of the plant saucers over anything else, but they avoid the soapy water.

That's my Callie. She'll be three years old this August. She's a sweetheart.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Lovemyboots wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

That's my Callie. She'll be three years old this August. She's a sweetheart.

She is sure adorable!  Now that we can put up pictures for our profile, wouldn't it be nice if everyone put up a picture!  You, your pet, your child, I love seeing peoples pictures!

Valued Contributor

Ugh, aren't fleas the worst?

I had a terrible outbreak 3 years ago with 2 dogs & 2 cats in my house. I was at my wits end so I know how you are feelings.

The only things that worked for me was:

• BOMBING the house with flea bombs. I put 6 bombs in my house, lol. (Leave all doors open. Move any curtains, etc. You have to leave the house for the day. But coming back into the house I noticed little red dots all over the place (even on my ceiling!)
  • When house was being bombed, DOGS went to the groomer (one of my dogs has a lot of fur so he got a shave), and the KITTYS came with me in their carriers.
  • VACUUMING EVERYTHING!. I did 4x a day minimum. The vibration actually hatches the flea eggs! I did not miss a spot. Moved furniture, etc.
  • LAUNDRY. Lots & lots of laundry. Especially human bedding.
  • Combinations of both TOPICAL & PILL flea meds.
  • FLEA COMBING: multiple times a day, be persistent with every pet.
  • Minimize the time the pets go outdoors until investation  is under control.

You've got to be diligent with these suckers. Unfortuntately they not only feed on your pets but you & anyone else in your house as well, so the female fleas can get their dinner from you & then lay 100s of more eggs.

Ugh just thinking about it now makes me cringe. I hope this ends for you soon. Since that outbreak at my house I have been persistent on fighting fleas. Ticks seems to be worse this year as well so I've been brushing my (now only 1 dog & 1 cat) on a weekly basis. I never want fleas again! lol!Cat Embarassed

I will say though, bombing my house, in the end, is what DID it for me. The amount of fleas significantly reduced, allowing me to have some sanity back.Cat Wink

Valued Contributor

@CaitlinH wrote:

Ugh, aren't fleas the worst?

I had a terrible outbreak 3 years ago with 2 dogs & 2 cats in my house. I was at my wits end so I know how you are feelings.

The only things that worked for me was:

• BOMBING the house with flea bombs. I put 6 bombs in my house, lol. (Leave all doors open. Move any curtains, etc. You have to leave the house for the day. But coming back into the house I noticed little red dots all over the place (even on my ceiling!)
  • When house was being bombed, DOGS went to the groomer (one of my dogs has a lot of fur so he got a shave), and the KITTYS came with me in their carriers.
  • VACUUMING EVERYTHING!. I did 4x a day minimum. The vibration actually hatches the flea eggs! I did not miss a spot. Moved furniture, etc.
  • LAUNDRY. Lots & lots of laundry. Especially human bedding.
  • Combinations of both TOPICAL & PILL flea meds.
  • FLEA COMBING: multiple times a day, be persistent with every pet.
  • Minimize the time the pets go outdoors until investation  is under control.

You've got to be diligent with these suckers. Unfortuntately they not only feed on your pets but you & anyone else in your house as well, so the female fleas can get their dinner from you & then lay 100s of more eggs.

Ugh just thinking about it now makes me cringe. I hope this ends for you soon. Since that outbreak at my house I have been persistent on fighting fleas. Ticks seems to be worse this year as well so I've been brushing my (now only 1 dog & 1 cat) on a weekly basis. I never want fleas again! lol!Cat Embarassed

I will say though, bombing my house, in the end, is what DID it for me. The amount of fleas significantly reduced, allowing me to have some sanity back.Cat Wink

Wow  you did a lot!  I had a friend tell me she had them one yr & had to bomb the house to get rid of them!  I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that! Wouldn't that hurt your electronics in your house!  Thst is what my DH thinks. He is against it. I am just at my wits end!  Have never had anything like this ever. I am thinking the tons of rain we had this sping must have really helped them along too!  Thanks for the input! I need all the help I can get!   Love the picture of your dog! 

Honored Contributor

I can't say how effective the flea traps are at ending the problem, but you get a thrill each morning when you get up and find lots of dead fleas floating in the water. By the way, keep the rest of the house as dark as possible and the fleas will move to the heat/light and hop right into the water. I'm using pie pans and the inch plus lip doesn't seem to impede the fleas at all. I do think I'm turning the corner as the traps are collecting fewer fleas each day and I'm combing fewer off the cats each day. Some combination of everything I've done seems to having an impact. I just hope it continues.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Wadzlla wrote:

The eggs are almost impossible to kill & will continue hatching for months. They are very tiny & look like specks of black pepper.

Good Luck.

Flea eggs are not black, that's flea poop or nits.  Fleas eggs are teensy tiny & white.

Valued Contributor

@Lovemyboots wrote:

Wow  you did a lot!  I had a friend tell me she had them one yr & had to bomb the house to get rid of them!  I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that! Wouldn't that hurt your electronics in your house!  Thst is what my DH thinks. He is against it. I am just at my wits end!  Have never had anything like this ever. I am thinking the tons of rain we had this sping must have really helped them along too!  Thanks for the input! I need all the help I can get!   Love the picture of your dog! 

Thank you! I recently lost my other pup so he's been the center of my attention and boy is he loving it. LOL

Back to fleas: unfortunately they are a pain in the tookus. My infestation was super bad because I always had one of the pets sleeping in bed with me. So I literally was waking up with bites, sitting on the couch and FEELING the fleas on me. I snapped! lol!

Flea bombs didn't damage anything in the house, except for the fleas, and some spiders/ants around the house. Cat Wink You just really don't want the investation to get so bad that you have to hire someone, which isn't cheap. Not to mention they would bomb the house anyways.

I actually didn't have to go the avenue of doing anything to my yard, except for the normal exterminator spray. That actually can be more harmful to your pets than the bombs inside the house. Just have to make sure to throughly clean afterwards.Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I talked to the vet yesterday afternoon & going in by this morning to pick up some Nextgard to try on them. We can't do Revolution right now because my dogs are on Heartgard.  And I just bought 6 more doses of it on the first!  So we will try Nextgard.

We have been vacuuming.  But last night a bad storm came in & it is still raining so I haven't bathed anyone this morning yet. I will with the dawn soultiion before I put the Nextgard on tho. Want to get all that awful flea dirt off them!  Oh & the vet's assitant also told me that a study done on fleas said that you could put flea eggs in the freezer for 1 yr. take them out & after they warm up they will hatch!  OMG that is scary!!  Some of my friends & I are texting each other everytime we hear of something new to try!  LOL  Sad really cause we all have a bad flea problem!!  Wish me luck!!

Valued Contributor

Found this on the internet at Food.com thought I wd share:

My poor pooch had a couple of fleas on her this summer (never had this issue before) and I needed a way to bathe her and kill the fleas without causing skin reactions as she has so many allergies. I found this through the e-how website and IT WORKED! The fleas just floated in the water and died and best of all little Libby did not have any reactions at all to the process.

1 cup liquid dawn (for sensitve skin)

1 cup white vinagar

1 cup warm water

DIRECTIONS

1. Mix the three ingredients in a large bowl and then transfer to a leftover squeeze bottle (like an old shampoo bottle). Give it a little shake to make sure it is mixed.
  2. Apply to your doggy just as you would normal shampoo. It is best if you can massage it into the fur and let sit for 5 minutes. My dog did not mind as long as I kept massaging the shampoo around.
  3. Rinse your doggy thoroughly with warm water. Towel dry