Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

I second going the natural route.  I use the Easy Defense flea and tick tag.  We spray the legs of our guy when we take him out with Wondercide......all natural.  I treated the carpet in our home with diatamateous earth.  He is going to be 4 years old and so far, so good.  We also don't/can't use heartworm prevention.  He vomited blood when I gave it to him.  We get him tested often.  We had another dog that had a seizure after taking heartworm meds.

The dosing for heartworm in the U.S. is overkill.  Google it.  Dose for milbemycin oxime (Interceptor) is 0.05 mg per pound of body weight.  Also, the frequency it is given is for the convenience of the pet owner........every month.......supposedly simpler to remember.  I have had several vets tell me that every 48 days is protective.  This info is from an fda.gov site.  

Then there is another whole discussion about timing heartworm prevention according the temperature.  Most people don't want to take the time to track temps thus it is easier to give your dog the too large dose too often.  JMHO

@tends2dogs    THANKYOU for this invaluable information... that pharmaceutical cra* is pushed by the vets  for more money....$$$$ and the pharmaceutical companies with their cutsi  sweet commercials on TV selling flea and tick poison.  People love their pets and think it is good... when it is actually killing or going to kill and harm their pets. 

Respected Contributor

I also use Nexgaurd for Gabriel.  It was the only treatment that got rid of mites when we rescued him at 9 weeks.   Ever since, I use it to protect from fleas as well.   He has fully recovered and now I will only use it if i see any fleas.  So far, not one flea or tick.  Vet recommended. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden   I feel the same way when watching the ads for flea and heartworm meds.  I always think, "those poor dogs!"  Everything is cocktailed, flea/roundworm/tapeworm etc.  They don't need all that chemical assault.  

I could go on and on and on..........but I won't Woman Wink.  It really isn't appreciated by most.  Natural isn't always the easiest way.  

First, do no harm.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

"Vet recommended"is not always a truthful recommendation other than for profit....

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-vets-are-getting-away-with-murder/

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

"Vet recommended"is not always a truthful recommendation other than for profit....

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-vets-are-getting-away-with-murder/

I don't believe that everything a Vet does is for profit like some do. My Vet will recommend things to me but not push or even suggest buying it from their Clinic at all.  The only things I buy from her are meds that need to be started immediately.  All other meds and supplements, etc. I order from places like Chewy.

Many Vets recommend and do only what they feel is in the best interest of your pet.  If I didn't feel that's what my Vet was doing I would find another Vet.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@NickNack  Yes to everything you said....But some of these conglomerate vet hospitals like Banfield are only for profit and take advantage of people.  As long as a customer has information and can decide for themselves what they want done and not done then it is best.

many people  go to these vets and never question them...it is good to know that you can say no to a shot or  a drug.....  Or ask about options.... be knowledgeable and informed.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden ...I ordered from the web site you suggested.  Prices are good!  Thanks

Respected Contributor

Agree with @NickNack 100%. I, too, buy products from Chewy, and my vet has no problem with this.  The only time I buy from my vet is in an acute situation. I wouldn't continue going to a vet who I didn't trust. My vet took one of my babies home with him over a weekend one time so he could see her behavior in person in order to properly diagnose her. Then he did an endoscopy and never charged me a penny as she was a rescue we'd just gotten. He is a good, kind, intelligent man. He would never prescribe something that would hurt my pups.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flea treatment

[ Edited ]

@Ainhisg wrote:

Agree with @NickNack 100%. I, too, buy products from Chewy, and my vet has no problem with this.  The only time I buy from my vet is in an acute situation. I wouldn't continue going to a vet who I didn't trust. My vet took one of my babies home with him over a weekend one time so he could see her behavior in person in order to properly diagnose her. Then he did an endoscopy and never charged me a penny as she was a rescue we'd just gotten. He is a good, kind, intelligent man. He would never prescribe something that would hurt my pups.

@Ainhisg   My Vet took one of my very sick cats home with her overnight one time, too, so she could observe him.  I was very grateful.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Seresto flea and tick collars.  They are wonderful and not putting poison in or on my dogs.  Everyone I know uses them.

You do know that these are chemical and not harmless, right?  It is great if they work - I am not sure you can claim that they aren't putting poison in or on your dogs.  

It isn't a natural product is what I mean.

The comment was directed at those products that dogs ingest or absorbed into the skin.  Once there you cannot remove.  Where if there is an adverse reaction to the collar, (which I have never heard, but I am sure can happen) it can easily be removed immediately to eliminate a problem.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.