Honored Contributor

Do you use a flea treatment on your dog?  A friend told me about an article she saw on facebook (I don't do facebook) about a pet owner's dog having a seizure after using a flea treatment.

I have used it a few times on our dog...then one evening, I was not home, my husband said the dog had a seizure! It lasted just a short time, not minutes.

We took her to the vet, she had a full physical and blood work...everything came back just fine, but now I am wondering if it had something to do with the flea treatment.  

The time between the treatment and the seizure was at least a couple of weeks.

She loves being outside...enjoys laying in the grass all 13 lbs of her!  I have never had a dog that liked the outdoors like she does. She has had fleas 2x so I am guessing she got them in our back yard.

Maybe there is a home remedy for fleas?  Any thoughts?

Honored Contributor

I use Nexgard chewable tablets for fleas and ticks.  I've heard that some flea meds can cause seizures.  I think it's highly doubtful that it would cause a seizure two weeks later though.  I think it would be the same day.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

I refuse to use any oral flea treatments (that pets eat).

There have been many cases of seizures as those ingredients react internally with a dog's system.

I have been using Frontline Plus on my dogs (and cats)  for decades and never a problem.

I also bathe my dogs but only in shampoo and water, never a flea ointment bath.

I find flea collars/powders completely ineffective.

Usually I do not need to treat my pets during the cold winter months.

Honored Contributor

@FancyPhillyshopper   @NickNack 

Thanks, the treatment I used was a liquid that is put at the base of her head and down the back.  I know it was a name brand purchased at a big box store not the vet.  

It's time to treat her again.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs : I hope your precious dog is OK!

I use food grade Diatomacious Earth on my dog.  Available at Amazon. Effective,natural, easy application and non-toxic. One small bag will last for years.

Respected Contributor

We live in the Midwest, and topicals have become somewhat ineffective.  I was worried about giving Nexgard, as I had read about risks, but our trusted vet said that he's never had a dog have seizures from Nexgard.  He gives it to his own dogs.  He does not recommend the 6-month pill (can't remember the name), but he is very comfortable prescribing Nexgard.  Both of our Bostons are on it and have done wonderfully.  I don't give it to them from December-February, because they are rarely outside except to potty and for their walks, and we have very cold winters here.  It's expensive, but the convenience and reliability are worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

Seresto flea and tick collars.  They are wonderful and not putting poison in or on my dogs.  Everyone I know uses them.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Mom2Dogs    go to the website  Only Natural Pet  dot com. 

They sell an excellent line of natural flea products.  I have used them for years and my dogs never have fleas or ticks.  I especially believe in the  Easy Defense flea and tick tag that the dog wears on his collar year round... then I add their natural flea collar and use their spray and powders when necessary. They have a 25% off for new customers too... and other coupons. 

They also sell really healthy  food for pets... and supplements.

At least check it out!

Esteemed Contributor

I second going the natural route.  I use the Easy Defense flea and tick tag.  We spray the legs of our guy when we take him out with Wondercide......all natural.  I treated the carpet in our home with diatamateous earth.  He is going to be 4 years old and so far, so good.  We also don't/can't use heartworm prevention.  He vomited blood when I gave it to him.  We get him tested often.  We had another dog that had a seizure after taking heartworm meds.

The dosing for heartworm in the U.S. is overkill.  Google it.  Dose for milbemycin oxime (Interceptor) is 0.05 mg per pound of body weight.  Also, the frequency it is given is for the convenience of the pet owner........every month.......supposedly simpler to remember.  I have had several vets tell me that every 48 days is protective.  This info is from an fda.gov site.  

Then there is another whole discussion about timing heartworm prevention according the temperature.  Most people don't want to take the time to track temps thus it is easier to give your dog the too large dose too often.  JMHO

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

Seresto flea and tick collars.  They are wonderful and not putting poison in or on my dogs.  Everyone I know uses them.

You do know that these are chemical and not harmless, right?  It is great if they work - I am not sure you can claim that they aren't putting poison in or on your dogs.  

It isn't a natural product is what I mean.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!