Respected Contributor

Flea medication advice needed

I live in southwest Missouri.  For years, we have used regular Pet Armor with no ticks or fleas on our two dogs EVER.  Last fall, one of our dogs contracted fleas we think in the grassy area outside our vet's new office.  Most appeared to be dying, so the Pet Armor was working albeit much slower than I would have liked.  As a precaution, we treated the house, yard, and put both dogs on Nexgard (oral pill from vet) for one month.  That took care of the problem.

Fast forward to this spring.  After much research, we decided to try Advantix ii on the dogs.  Because of the cost, we didn't want to use Nexgard, and we are not opposed to topicals.  Two months in, and one dog is doing fine on the Advantix, but our other one...poor thing.  The first month, he was a little itchy for a couple of days afterwards, but this time...it is Day 4 and while the itching has lessened, I can tell that he is still itchy.  Benadryl has helped, but I will not put Advantix on him again.  I don't know what ingredient in the Advantix has affected him this way, but I am going to try to avoid other flea products with Imidacloprid, Permethrin, and Pyriproxyfen in it.

Does anyone have any advice of a flea product to try?  Please...no natural suggestions.  Should we put our dog back on Pet Armor, which is a generic form of Frontline, only buy the "plus" version that kills flea eggs and larvae?  Or is there another brand we should consider?  Thanks for all advice.

Honored Contributor

Re: Flea medication advice needed

We use Bravecto on Kingston and have never seen a flea or tick on him and he goes trekking through the woods with his Dad every day.

It's an oral medication that lasts for 3 months.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

I prefer to use nothing, but that's really not an option, so I have used Comfortis for 8 years.  It works, but know that it does not cover ticks or heartworm. You would have to add on additional products for those pests.  We have very little of either here, so I use nothing for them.   It has been around a long time, and that is one thing I like about it.

Respected Contributor

Wish I could post a link here, but if you do a search of GreenPaws Flea and Tick Products Directory they show some information prepared by the NRDC (an environmental action group).  They rate the products by not stars but some other image.  1 image is the best, even tho' NRDC doesn't really like any of these products.  Sure, we would all rather use the non-toxic approach and harmless products, but the fact is they don't really work very well.  Our pets quality of life is important too, and we don't want them tortured by constant scratching or sickened by pests.

I wish I could remember the name of another product I tried on my dog at my vet's recommendation.  It made him itch and scratch terribly!!  The vet gave me a full refund.  Might have been Nexguard.  It was back to Comfortis.

Frequent Contributor

Seresto Flea and tick collars worked great for my long haired dogs last season.  Plan on getting the collars again this year.

Super Contributor

@Ainhisg

We had 2 major infestations in our house brought in by a pet sitter. it was the worse.

took 5-6 months both times to get rid of them in house. almost put my in the nut house literaly!  had to vacuumn everyday, clean, throw out furniture, beding, etc etc.

it is truely a NIGHTMARE if they infest your house in these numbers. a NIGHTMARE.

After many vet calls we tried Seresto Collars and boy did they work good. they last 6-8 months and we wont be without them now. no toxins, no reactions, just flea free dogs!

Contributor

I tried the seresto  collar on Jc,  my toy

poodle last year.  After about a week, he scratched his neck non stop.  I would take it off for a couple days and it would stop. Put back on  Same thing .At one point the vet had me give him benedryl for a few days.. Had to go back to Advantix II. So far so good.  I do have friends that use their collar and dont have any problems.

Esteemed Contributor

Used Revalution flea/tick/heartworm preventive for years with no problems.  This year I am trying the Seresto colars.  My sister works for a vet and has been using them for 2 years with good results.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

I really appreciate all the wonderful responses.  I just took back the Advantix ii to Petsmart, and they refunded my money.  Whew.  I looked at the Seresto collars, and they contain Imidacloprid and Permethrin, which are two of the ingredients in Advantix ii, so I'm scared to try them.  As another poster put it, we would prefer to use none of these products, but that's not realistic.

@nougat, I would be just like you...almost in the nuthouse from fleas in the house!  When we discovered them on our one dog last fall, after a panicked call to the vet, my husband treated the yard while I ran to the vet for Nexgard, and then using the vet's instructions...went through the house washing, vacuuming, spraying insecticide, everything.  I was so panicked that "maybe" they had gotten a foothold in the house, that I put water traps out to see if we caught any.  Thank goodness we didn't, and neither of our dogs ever had them again nor did we see evidence of them in the house or on us.  Like I said, I think the Pet Armor was doing its job, but I don't know if the fleas have gotten resistant to the chemicals in it or what, because it had been 9 days since we'd been at the vet's, and if that's where he got them, the fleas should have been dead by then.

I am going to check out the Comfortis and do some more research tonight.

Honored Contributor

I use Nexgard.  I agree it's expensive, but I need the tick protection, too.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau