Honored Contributor

Re: Flea medication advice needed

@Ainhisg wrote:

Good morning, everyone.  OP here.  Still trying to figure all this out.  For those of you using a prescription product  (Revolution, Bravecto, Nexgard), do you just get it from your vet or do you order it online from an online pharmacy to save money? I know a script is needed for that, which wouldn't be an issue. Which online pharmacy do you use? For example, I see where Bravecto's cost is around $70+ but can be bought for around $40 online.

I am going to contact my vet for recommendations, but even if I go with a prescription product, I want to save as much money as I can.

@Ainhisg  I always use Drs. Foster and Smith.  I've used them for many many years.  I place my order with them and give them my Vet's information.  They contact my Vet for the prescription and mail it to me.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Re: Flea medication advice needed

[ Edited ]

OP here.  I spoke to our vet's senior tech this morning, and since our dog showed a sensitivity to the Advantix topical, she recommended the Nexgard.  We got 6 doses plus 1 free, which comes out to $17.42 a month.  If we have any problems, they will take back the unused portion.  From reading the Green Paws page information that one poster gave me (Thank you!), I think I see that it is the permethrin that caused his sensitivity, but who knows?  The Frontline Gold does not contain that ingredient, but we will just see how we get along with the Nexgard.  

I've read so much over the weekend about all of these.  I have found scary reviews on the topicals as well as the pills/chews.  I absolutely hate using these products on my babies, but a person has to be realistic.  Fleas, ticks, and the diseases they can cause--as well as making the dogs miserable--make using these products a necessity for us.  Thanks, again, for everyone who responded!