Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flea and heartworm meds, tips to savd

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Whew, I would never ever think of doing this.  When choosing to have a pet (or pets), the cost of ownership is something that must be considered BEFOREHAND.  Flame away, but IMO, it's selfish, careless, and irresponsible to take on more pets than one can practically afford and owners who are splitting poisonous and potentially deadly medications are putting their dogs at risk every month when they administer the medicaion by cutting corners like this.  I hate the thought of giving my dog poison at all, but I also hate the thought of him getting fleas and ticks, which would be a sure thing where I live.  I once had a friend who never treated her dog and he ended up with heartworm.  It made me just shake my head that she was so careless with him.  I knew that whenever we got a dog, I was going to do all I could to keep them healthy, to the best of my ability.  My dog gets a topical flea & tick prevention treatment and a Heartgard chew every month.  At least I have the reassurance that the particular vial I use topically or the chewable treat I give him has been manufactured with the right amount of medicine for his weight so he isn't under or over medicated.  It would surely seem to me that the vets who go along with this are taking a big risk and they are relying on their owner-customers to get it right every single time.  All it might take is one slip up, not reading the marking on the syringe accurately, getting distracted by something (phone, doorbell, small child, etc.) and the dog could end up paying the price, all in the name of saving a few bucks.  Our dogs (and other pets) end up in our families because we make the choice to take them in.  They are fully dependent on us for everything and if it can't be done right, then either don't have any or just have one.

WOW... perhaps you can reread the discussion so you may actually understand what is being discussed.  Do you actually think that applying a dose made for  dogs 40 - 85 lbs on a 42 lb dog is not overdosing?  These are not injections, they are typical medicines.  I have at one point or another given my pets liquid medicines in a syringe (not all contain needles for injection), even my bird.  It is not difficult, markings are very easy to read, same thing parents do everyday giving their children medicine.  Are parents irresponsible because they dispense their child's medicine from a bottle rather than individual doses?

You want to make it all about money and irresponsible ownership....go ahead.  You are dead wrong.  I can assure that I spend more money each month on training and activities with my dogs than you can ever imagine.  If I can save a little money as well as customize the dose closer to my pets actual size, I am all for it.  I call that being responsible.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

Whew, I would never ever think of doing this.  When choosing to have a pet (or pets), the cost of ownership is something that must be considered BEFOREHAND.  Flame away, but IMO, it's selfish, careless, and irresponsible to take on more pets than one can practically afford and owners who are splitting poisonous and potentially deadly medications are putting their dogs at risk every month when they administer the medicaion by cutting corners like this.  I hate the thought of giving my dog poison at all, but I also hate the thought of him getting fleas and ticks, which would be a sure thing where I live.  I once had a friend who never treated her dog and he ended up with heartworm.  It made me just shake my head that she was so careless with him.  I knew that whenever we got a dog, I was going to do all I could to keep them healthy, to the best of my ability.  My dog gets a topical flea & tick prevention treatment and a Heartgard chew every month.  At least I have the reassurance that the particular vial I use topically or the chewable treat I give him has been manufactured with the right amount of medicine for his weight so he isn't under or over medicated.  It would surely seem to me that the vets who go along with this are taking a big risk and they are relying on their owner-customers to get it right every single time.  All it might take is one slip up, not reading the marking on the syringe accurately, getting distracted by something (phone, doorbell, small child, etc.) and the dog could end up paying the price, all in the name of saving a few bucks.  Our dogs (and other pets) end up in our families because we make the choice to take them in.  They are fully dependent on us for everything and if it can't be done right, then either don't have any or just have one.

WOW... perhaps you can reread the discussion so you may actually understand what is being discussed.  Do you actually think that applying a dose made for  dogs 40 - 85 lbs on a 42 lb dog is not overdosing?  These are not injections, they are typical medicines.  I have at one point or another given my pets liquid medicines in a syringe (not all contain needles for injection), even my bird.  It is not difficult, markings are very easy to read, same thing parents do everyday giving their children medicine.  Are parents irresponsible because they dispense their child's medicine from a bottle rather than individual doses?

You want to make it all about money and irresponsible ownership....go ahead.  You are dead wrong.  I can assure that I spend more money each month on training and activities with my dogs than you can ever imagine.  If I can save a little money as well as customize the dose closer to my pets actual size, I am all for it.  I call that being responsible.

First of all @CrazyDaisy, what am I supposedly missing that you think I need to reread the discussion?  That splitting a higher dose prepared medication between two or three different animals is a way to save TIME?? Give me a break, it's obviously about saving money. I have followed the discussion and have responded accordingly.  Maybe it is you who needs to reread my prior response.  At no time did I ever say you or any other dog owner who does this was giving injections.  Iam very well aware that there are needleless syringes.  I'm not the one who started the discussion or chose the title, you did. When you titled your thread "Flea and heartworm meds, tips to save" (corrected your typo), you are the one who made it about money from the start, that saving money was the point of the medication splitting, and you continued the same as your defense in your last paragraph, that you do it TO save money.  Secondly, you are exaggerating the weight ranges in commercially prepared medications to shore up your argument, but they are misleading and inaccurate.  Furthermore, if you are in a position that you can spend so much money on your dogs in training and activities every month, I doubt that saving $10-15, or even $20 a month by splitting up a monthly dose of flea & tick or heartworm medication is really going to affect your overall quality of living.  However, if it would, it would be better to give up one activity, skip a Starbucks or pass on a lunch out rather than to risk your dogs' health.  Lastly, if you are going to start a conversation of any type, you need to be willing to accept that fact that not everyone is going to agree with you. 

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

First of all @CrazyDaisy, what am I supposedly missing that you think I need to reread the discussion?  That splitting a higher dose prepared medication between two or three different animals is a way to save TIME?? Give me a break, it's obviously about saving money. I have followed the discussion and have responded accordingly.  Maybe it is you who needs to reread my prior response.  At no time did I ever say you or any other dog owner who does this was giving injections.  Iam very well aware that there are needleless syringes.  I'm not the one who started the discussion or chose the title, you did. When you titled your thread "Flea and heartworm meds, tips to save" (corrected your typo), you are the one who made it about money from the start, that saving money was the point of the medication splitting, and you continued the same as your defense in your last paragraph, that you do it TO save money.  Secondly, you are exaggerating the weight ranges in commercially prepared medications to shore up your argument, but they are misleading and inaccurate.  Furthermore, if you are in a position that you can spend so much money on your dogs in training and activities every month, I doubt that saving $10-15, or even $20 a month by splitting up a monthly dose of flea & tick or heartworm medication is really going to affect your overall quality of living.  However, if it would, it would be better to give up one activity, skip a Starbucks or pass on a lunch out rather than to risk your dogs' health.  Lastly, if you are going to start a conversation of any type, you need to be willing to accept that fact that not everyone is going to agree with you. 

It was not that you disagree, it the the attack on anyone who might possibly think differently than you.  Look it up Revolution DOES have weight ranges like that, I have the box in front of me 40 lbs to 85 lbs.  So try a different argument.  Next size up is 85 lbs to 130, and you think that dogs are not being overdosed with these single use products.  My dogs health is not in any danger.  I am an intelligent person I can read numbers and follow the vets instructions, and I assume there are many others here also.  If I can help someone save a little money, so be it, more toys for the dogs.  However your attacks about motives and irresponsibility are uncalled for. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

It was not that you disagree, it the the attack on anyone who might possibly think differently than you.  Look it up Revolution DOES have weight ranges like that, I have the box in front of me 40 lbs to 85 lbs.  So try a different argument.  Next size up is 85 lbs to 130, and you think that dogs are not being overdosed with these single use products.  My dogs health is not in any danger.  I am an intelligent person I can read numbers and follow the vets instructions, and I assume there are many others here also.  If I can help someone save a little money, so be it, more toys for the dogs.  However your attacks about motives and irresponsibility are uncalled for. 

I stand corrected on the ranges in Revolution.  I have never purchased that.  The medication I use has closer ranges and that's what I was going by.  Even so, the scientists who created it and those who have approved it for use must believe it is safe when used as prescribed.

No one accused you of not being smart or or not being able to follow instructions.  Even the smartest people can make mistakes when distracted.  That was my point.

And again, I see you're back to the saving money logic when you accused me of "wanting to make it all about money".  SMH

Just because someone has an opinion that's different than yours doesn't raise it to the level of being an attack.

Esteemed Contributor

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

I stand corrected on the ranges in Revolution.  I have never purchased that.  The medication I use has closer ranges and that's what I was going by.  Even so, the scientists who created it and those who have approved it for use must believe it is safe when used as prescribed.

No one accused you of not being smart or or not being able to follow instructions.  Even the smartest people can make mistakes when distracted.  That was my point.

And again, I see you're back to the saving money logic when you accused me of "wanting to make it all about money".  SMH

Just because someone has an opinion that's different than yours doesn't raise it to the level of being an attack.

When you call people selfish, careless and irresponsible for something they may do (third sentence in your first post) I believe that can be considered an attack.  I won't bring up the rest.

Honored Contributor

I just looked up the weight ranges for the heartworm & flea/tick prevention meds that I give my dog.  She weighs 23 lbs.  Her Heartguard Plus is for dogs 1 - 25 lbs., and her Nexgard is for dogs that weigh 10.1 - 24 lbs.  The doses are in a good range for her.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Nicknack wrote:

I just looked up the weight ranges for the heartworm & flea/tick prevention meds that I give my dog.  She weighs 23 lbs.  Her Heartguard Plus is for dogs 1 - 25 lbs., and her Nexgard is for dogs that weigh 10.1 - 24 lbs.  The doses are in a good range for her.

With smaller dogs the ranges are usually much tighter.  If your dog was 11 lbs you can see where there might be a problem, especially for some that are more sensitive.

Honored Contributor

My vets said to never try to "split" doses because you cannot be assured that you are getting exactly half of the actual medication, just because you, say,  split the chew in half.

Like @JeanLouiseFinch mentioned, part of pet ownership is accepting the cost of caring for them and cutting corners on important, life saving medications in order to save some money isn't really the best way to go about saving money. It will cost you much more to treat the heartworm if your dog ends up getting it or, even worse, the dog can lose its' life. I would never want to take that risk. 

Esteemed Contributor

@HappyDaze wrote:

My vets said to never try to "split" doses because you cannot be assured that you are getting exactly half of the actual medication, just because you, say,  split the chew in half.

Like @JeanLouiseFinch mentioned, part of pet ownership is accepting the cost of caring for them and cutting corners on important, life saving medications in order to save some money isn't really the best way to go about saving money. It will cost you much more to treat the heartworm if your dog ends up getting it or, even worse, the dog can lose its' life. I would never want to take that risk. 

My vet will show you how to split the typical dose into a measured amount for each pet. Both pets are fully protected, probably more so by using the syringe to get under my girls thick undercoat.   If this is not something you are comfortable doing, that is fine.  I know many people who also vaccinate their own pets.  That is something I am not comfortable doing, yet they are do it all the time with no problems.

Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@JeanLouiseFinch wrote:

When you call people selfish, careless and irresponsible for something they may do (third sentence in your first post) I believe that can be considered an attack.  I won't bring up the rest.

What I said was that I believe it's selfish, careless and irresponsible for people to take on more pets than they can practically afford.  That is not an attack on the person, but an opinion regarding their behavior.  You being an iintelligent person and all, am I to believe you think it's a wise choice for someone to take on more responsibility than they can afford?