Respected Contributor

FDA: Flea, tick meds linked to neurological problems

The info is on FOX dot Com.  Top left of the page.  I don't use this stuff, but there may be some here that do, or have to use do to where one lives.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Flea & Tick Med's.....FYI

[ Edited ]

Y E S  !!!!!

Symptoms did not developed immediately so I didnt link it right away.

After several weekend getaways in the north woods, my dog and house needed flea treatment.

Used what the vet sold me. The dog hated the treatment!

At first my dog world occasionally 'freeze' during a walk, and if it didn't pass in a few minutes I'd have to carry him home. The look in his eyes was crushing. It was obvious he wanted to move, but couldn't.

Other problems developed and I'm convinced this either contributed to or was the direct cause of his death in 1996.

It was an awful, slow, torturous death, too!

45 MINUTES of one body system after another shutting down, while he was paralyzed but conscious and aware.

Honored Contributor

I'm so sorry for what happened to you dog @x Hedge.

Thank you for posting this @Mistic.  I got an e-mail about this and was going to post it.  I do give my dog Nexgard during the summer because of ticks.  I'm not going to give it anymore.  I'll switch back to Frontline.  I had switched to Nexgard because she eats it.  Frontline is a liquid that you squeeze on to them.  The Nexgard is easier.  I've given it to her for several years with no side effects, but I won't chance it anymore.  I had heard of side effects of one of the drugs that was mentioned but not Nexgard.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Hey ~ I don't like posting "Debbie Downer" stuff, but I thought this was important.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Respected Contributor

@x Hedge ~

So so Sorry!  You think you are doing what is best for your Baby, and it comes back to bite you.

Sorry that my post brought bad memories back to the surface.

Esteemed Contributor

@x Hedge wrote:

Y E S  !!!!!

Symptoms did not developed immediately so I didnt link it right away.

After several weekend getaways in the north woods, my dog and house needed flea treatment.

Used what the vet sold me. The dog hated the treatment!

At first my dog world occasionally 'freeze' during a walk, and if it didn't pass in a few minutes I'd have to carry him home. The look in his eyes was crushing. It was obvious he wanted to move, but couldn't.

Other problems developed and I'm convinced this either contributed to or was the direct cause of his death in 1996.

It was an awful, slow, torturous death, too!

45 MINUTES of one body system after another shutting down, while he was paralyzed but conscious and aware.

@x Hedge, I am so sorry about the loss of your dog, especially in such a horrible way.  However, I have to ask if you remember specifically what flea and tick preventative you were using?

I'm curious what you used that caused the neurologic symptoms because Bravecto, the first I believe in the class of drugs in this FDA warning, did not go on sale until June, 2014

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

Mastic. Thanks for posting, that’s valuable info.  

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you for your kindness.

This was in the 1990s, the vet gave me several types of products to use on my dog and to treat my house. I remember having to spray the dog and work it down to his skin several times.

No idea what brands were involved.

I remember I balked at the volume of chemicals he was giving me, (and the price!) and the vet assured me each was a necessary part of the total treatment to eradicate the fleas.

@Marp

@NickNack

@Mistic

Esteemed Contributor

@Mistic wrote:

The info is on FOX dot Com.  Top left of the page.  I don't use this stuff, but there may be some here that do, or have to use do to where one lives.

My baby had a very adverse reaction to frontline..Now I use diatomaceous earth, FOOD GRADE...you can put some on their coat and give them a small amount in their food. I take it daily too..its good with all kinds of things. Very inexpensive too! 

https://www.earthworkshealth.com/

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@emmysmom wrote:

@Mistic wrote:

My baby had a very adverse reaction to frontline..Now I use diatomaceous earth, FOOD GRADE...you can put some on their coat and give them a small amount in their food. I take it daily too..its good with all kinds of things. Very inexpensive too! 

https://www.earthworkshealth.com/

@emmysmom  This is what I have used for years.  It works.....among a few other things I have added over the years.

I haven't used the tick and flea stuff for many, many years.

This info about affecting the animals neurologically is not new.  Your natural vets have been saying this for years.

@x Hedge I am so sorry that you had to experience this with your pet.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!