Respected Contributor

@Marp 

LOVE you for giving this gorgeous dog a home-a "furever home."  She is a lucky dog!   Whatever her background is, she ended up in a good place. I hope you have many happy years with her. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Finnish Spitz Question

[ Edited ]

@Marp  I deleted most of my post as I mis-read your original post.

I'm so glad Sunny is in a loving home.

Respected Contributor

@Love my grandkids 

It seems like she was "dumped."  Read the post.  Sunny was turned in as a stray and not claimed.  Please, please, anyone who cares for animals-surrender your pets to an animal shelter if you are unable or unwilling to care for them. 

We rescued a 2 1/2 year old male Weimaraner in July 2020-name of SULLY.  He had two previous owners.  Owner # 1 wanted a "hunting dog" and said Sully was not a good hunting dog.  He gave the dog to a woman who was probably up in years.  The dog just had too much energy for Owner # 2.  Owner # 2 told everyone she was gong to SHOOT the dog dead.  Her brother convinced her to surrender the dog to a rescue operation.  That's how we got him.  We adopted him.  We love him and are happy to have him. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Love my grandkids,  that is in fact what happened, she was effectively dumped.  She was picked up by animal control as a stray then held for 10 days before being put up for adoption.

If the owner fell on hard times s/he could have surrendered Sunny to animal control, in which case she would not have had to be held there for 10 days, or surrendered her to our local Humane Society or any number of rescues in the immediate area.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Super Contributor

@Marp, I guess the "Hold Time" on strays varies by state or even county.  Mosey was picked up as a stray too and had only been at the county shelter for 2 days when I saw her there.  She was not yet available but would be the next day on day 3, which is when I filled out adoption papers.  Then she stayed there 2 more days awaiting her spay surgery.

My adoption contract stated that the original owner had 30 days in which to make a claim for her. We held our breath and breathed a big sigh of relief after that first month passed with us! The shelter employee told us in all her years there, she had only ever seen that happen (owner coming forward to make a belated claim) twice before.  And if so, they have to pay all charges and expenses both to the shelter and adoptive owner. 

Congrats and Happy Days to you and Sunny! 

p.s. Totally different breeds and coats, but it took several months for Mosey's belly fur to all grow back.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

@maximillian Thank God someone got Sully away from that crazy old bat (I'm 73 so I can say that).

Bless you for rescuing Sully.

You're right, I didn't read the post carefully so I will edit mine.

Respected Contributor

Hi @Marp 

LOVE Spitz dogs, and all the breeds they contributed to....including the creation of the Keeshond. 

My Keesh Hobbes was a gorgeous lil spectacled gem of a boy, his coat was magnificant. 

Her belly fur will grow back soon, in a few weeks to a month or so...no worries Marp. It'll grow back.

Honored Contributor

I had my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel spayed in January.  She was shaved super smooth.  Her fur has grown in nicely, and even, but it is still a bit shorter than the rest of the hair on her chest area.

She doesn't look funny anymore.  It took maybe 6 weeks for it to grow in and not have that tummy area stand out like a sore thumb. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Carmie,  lol about the "doesn't look funny anymore" because my first reaction when I saw Sunny from the side is that she looks like two different dogs front and back.

Sunny was also shaved super smooth but looks aside we are still having some really cold days and she loves being outside in the cold; even though I know it is me not her I don't like seeing her skin exposed when it is so cold.

Of course I take full advantage of her bare belly to not stay out in the cold as long as Sunny would like lol.

Esteemed Contributor

@MoonieBaby,  I too have a strong affinity for the Spitz lineage breeds.  They have the best personalities.

I have no concerns about her hair growing back just how long it will take.  It sounds like it will take two to three months for Sunny's hair to grow back enough to be protective.   By then it will be warm enough that she'd probably appreciate not having belly hair lol.