Esteemed Contributor

I recently adopted a Finnish Spitz.  She was spayed on March 9th. 

Does anyone have an idea how long it will take for her belly hair to grow back?   Will her undercoat and outer coat come in at the same time?

The lack of hair sure altered her look lol.  There is a very skinny dog under all the hair.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

@Marp -

I don't know but gosh they are beautiful!

And congratulations to you and your new girl!Finnish Spitz standing in three-quarter viewHeart

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Finnish Spitz Question

[ Edited ]

She should be shedding her undercoat soon.... big time.  Then she'll have no undercoat until her winter coat grows in next fall.  It'll probably take 4-6 months for her coat (guard hairs) to grow back in. 

Actually, the lack of belly hair will make her more comfortable in summer when she lies on a cool floor or grass.  Many people with long haired dogs just have the belly shaved for summer.  You'll adjust to the look. 

Be sure to keep her well brushed to prevent fur from matting as she sheds.  Keep your vacuum cleaner close. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

LOL @Kachina624,  not just the vacuum but the Wet Jet too.  She is not the neatest eater and while some pieces are delicious in the dish there are some pieces just taste better when placed on the floor first.

Honored Contributor

@Marp    My dogs do that too. I don't know where you live, but if appropriate, you should get her on a flea and tick and of course heartworm preventative. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@on the bay,  Sunny is gorgeous.  She is a much deeper red than the one in the photo you posted.  This isn't a very good picture, she is camera shy or more accurately thinks the camera is a toy,.

Sunny at gate.jpg

Honored Contributor

Oh she is gorgeous!

(and food does taste better when on the floor lol!)

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Marp 

Thank you, thank you, thank you for adopting this beautiful dog!  Dogs shed as the days get longer, then as the days get shorter.  Mother nature provides them with appropriate coats.  Having said that, we live in a Northeast location where it gets hot and humid much of the time in the summer months. We used to have our groomer "buzz" oiur Norwegian Elkhounds in the summer..  The look and coat of the Elkhound is a lot like your Finnish Spitz.  Find a good dog groomer and consult with him or her.    Enjoy your beautiful dog! 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624,  I'm in NC and she will absolutely be put on Simparica Trio.  That is what my Pom/Pap mix is on. 

Sunny has an appointment on the 9th for a full health check and baseline blood work which will include a heartworm test.  She will then be started on preventative.

Esteemed Contributor

@maximillian,  all my pets have been adopted but Sunny's story has disturbed me more than any other.

She is about a year old and was clearly very well taken care of (except for not having been spayed or microchipped) and is extremely well trained, trained beyond what one would expect from a family pet.

She was turned in as a stray and held for 10 days with newspaper ads with photo and FB postings but no one claimed her.  It was pure serendipity that I saw her and was chosen to be her adopter.

Being the dog she is I just don't understand why she was effectively abandoned.  I can't imagine anyone putting so much time and effort into caring for and training her and then nothing.

She has earned her name by being a ray of sunshine and having a sunny disposition.  Nothing seems to bother her.