Honored Contributor

Finally..peace today with my fighting dogs

As some of you may know, I have two dogs that are vicious fighters with each other.  I had a puppy and adopted a three year old from a family and all was well for the first three months.  Then all hell broke loose.

It has been horrible...I even got bit trying to break them up and was looking to rehome the newcomer.  I thought I would try to get them to get along or at least ignore each other, but it was not going well.

I keep one in the kitchen and the other in the family room.  Summer is coming and we go to our summer place which is an RV and we have a boat.  There is no way I can keep them seperated there, so I was worried.

367453DC-BDA3-455E-ADD5-7D50F1D3595F.jpeg
They have been getting better and I now allow them to be in the same room supervised..they still attack, but we can seperate them if we do...which is everyday.

Today, I was in the kitchen and things were a little quiet.  Neither dogs were around. I had removed the gates this morning.   I checked the family room and there they were together side by side on the sofa.

This is the fist time since last August.

Yippee!  I pray this lasts. I really love both dogs and want to keep them.  I have been sick with worry about rehoming Natalie ( black and white one)   Maybe now, I won't have to.  I really want this to work 24/7.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Finally..peace today with my fighting dogs

Glad to hear they are getting along. Sounds like some jealousy there and maybe each one trying to be the "alpha dog".  Hope their getting along continues for you. Maybe they just needed some adjustment time. 

Respected Contributor

That is great news, Maybe they just needed to battle it out and realize they are stuck with each other. I think of it like bringing in a new child and how the only child would react to that. All the attention to half the attention that's hard to accept. It takes time. 

Honored Contributor

I had that situation in my house and couldn't live with it.  When one dog was injured, we found another home for him, a cute little Sheltie.  Everyone is much happier now. 

Your pups are so cute together @Carmie.  I hope peace continues.  I can't imagine two aggressive dogs in an RV.  Where do you like to camp? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

this is wonderful news !!!  i will keep my fingers crossed for you.  please continue to share their progress! 

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   We have a large RV ( 37 ft with two slide outs) on a permanent site that we rent in a park near a Lake.  We don't move that one.  We have a 36 ft covered deck there which makes it impossible to move.

We also have a smaller RV (30 ft with a slide out) which used to be at the Lake.  We planned on selling it when we upgraded, but never did.

We traveled to New a Orleans all the way to Vermont in that one.  Mostly, we spend a month or two in Florida in the winter.  We like Maine's Bar Harbour's area, Cape Cod, Cape May, NJ and Tennessee.

We haven't traveled anywhere lately though because of Covid.  We still hang out at the lake because we can be isolated there and be socially distanced on the boat.  It is a pontoon boat that is fully enclosed with a camper top for bad weather.  It is an antique...32 years old  that my DH fully restored. It is one of a kind.

We have always taken our dogs with us on vacation.  So, this is a great way to do that.

My other two dogs, who have since passed,  loved the boat, I am hoping these two will as well.  We took them last year a few times, but had to stop because of the fighting.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie  Your dogs are beautiful!!!!  Do you give them "treats" when they are well behaved? 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac   Yes, they love treats.  I give them mostly Fruitables   (for dogs).  They only have about 7 calories each.

Cavalier King Charles Spaniels must watch their weight.  They tend to get heart problems and being overweight doesn't help.

When I got Natalie, she was so underweight and boney it was a sin.  She has fluffed up since then. She gained 5 lbs since last June.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie   

How did things go the rest of the day?  Still peaceful? 

It sounds like you have a really nice life with your RVs and travel.  You'll probably be back at it soon. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624   Yes, they were good all day.

It seems like they fight when we are together sitting around...like watching TV.  If my DH and I are not around them, they are okay together.

They can now both be walked together and they do not fight when somone outside of our house is around....like our kids or grands.

My guess is jealosly.  It is work in progress.  I think I'd much rather raise kids...much easier.

Yes, we enjoy our RV and traveling.  Before we had dogs, we traveled all over the world...especially Asia.  Now, we travel only in the RV.

I would like to spend winter in Florida again when this,COVID is under control. I hate winter and cold weather.