Honored Contributor

Re: Finally..peace today with my fighting dogs

@Carmie wrote:

@SeaMaiden   That is horrible.  I am so sorry you had to go through with that. I wonder why that happens.

Both of  my dogs are small and I have been able to separate them, but I did get a bite while trying to open Mika mouth to remove Natalie's ear.  Natalie bit me..she was in pain, but no break in her skin.  My bite was deep and painful.  She sunk her sharp teeth into my hand.  It took weeks to heal and there is still a mark there.

I had to go get a tetanus shot and antibiotics.  Natalie was reported to the county and early the next morning, the country called me.  They checked with the vet to make sure Natalie was up to date on her rabies vaccine...she was,  and I had to quarantine her at home for 10 days.

If  she was not vaccinated, they would have come and taken her away to quarantine her at their facility for 10 days at my expense.

Mika is due for her rabies vaccine and I made an appointment for next week.  I will never let the rabies vaccine update be late and I never knew any department in our county to be that fast on anything.  

@Carmie     That  is so shocking what the county did and would have done if the rabies vaccines were not up to date... Why would you have to qurantine her if she was up to date on her rabies vaccine??  Do not understand that.

Honored Contributor

Re: Finally..peace today with my fighting dogs

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden   I asked the women on the phone and she said it is standard procedure due to rabies. There is no major concerns about rabies where I live...I just said okay and went about business as usual.

We are already quarantined because of COVID, so it's not like I was going to take her to a family gathering and we don't allow our dogs near other dogs running around.

I know one thing..I will always keep the rabies vaccine up to date.  You just never know when a bite or scratch could happen.  If you seek treatment, your dog will be reported.