Esteemed Contributor

Finally, a Butterfly Update!

Butterfly, now known as Buttercup, was finally able to be taken to the vet this morning.  We have been trying for quite a while and have the scars to prove it.  I purchased a Mr. Peanut carrier from Amazon and it has two side openings and a top opening, which permitted me to get him inside.  I also used a lot of Feliway, both in his food this morning and spraying the inside of the carrier.  I had been spraying our stoop for a few days so that he would stay a little longer.

Here are some things that we found out.  Buttercup is an 8-10 year old intact male.  I thought he was a she.  It appears that until he showed up at our house, he had been on his own for a long time.  He had a few fleas and he has a broken canine tooth.

He will be spending a few days at the vet's office so that he can be neutered and to wait out the healing.  The vet asked me if I thought I would be able to get pain meds into him, and I told him that I did not know.  He will get a pain patch, but he will stay with the vet until all is healed.

I have wanted to get him there for a long time.  We have had four heatwaves so far this summer and I wanted to get him into the a/c but could not take the chance.  Same with the cold in winter.  I have no idea if he will ever come in the house, but we do have two heated houses on our stoop, so maybe he will use them after being in the carrier and seeing that he is still safe.  He was really good in the car today with the a/c on, so I am hoping for the best for him.

Once I have a complete vet report, I will report back.  Thanks for all the kind responses when I first posted.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Respected Contributor

Re: Finally, a Butterfly Update!

Bless you for catching this boy and getting him to a vet for some long-needed health care!  I hope, once his hormones are reduced by neutering that he mellows out and decided living as a housecat is a better way to spend his golden years.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Finally, a Butterfly Update!

You are an angel on this earth for getting Buttercup the intensive care he needs and deserves!  I hope he continues to flourish - please keep us posted!