Trusted Contributor

Does anyone know why dogs and cats seek out sunbeams?

We have a beautiful sunny morning here today, and my chihuahua laid down in the chair where a sunbeam was coming through the window.

My elderly cat was headed right for the same chair when she saw the dog there, and voiced her anger with that mew she does when she's mad.

I opened another curtain to make a sunny place.  She went to it and promptly fell asleep.

It's nice and warm in here, so I don't think they are trying to get warm in the sun.

I wonder if there is a scientific reason, health benefit, or some other reason for this behavior. 

Respected Contributor

Don't know about dogs, but I know a cat can never be too warm.  I have a kitty who sits in the sun on a summer day at an open window, and is almost too hot to touch comfortably.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Sun breaks down oils in the dog's skin, converting it to Vi D levels they require, unlike humans who process Vi D differently. I always found it interesting that they have an innate drive to assist in this process by sunbathing.  

Trusted Contributor

@BlueFinch wrote:

Sun breaks down oils in the dog's skin, converting it to Vi D levels they require, unlike humans who process Vi D differently. I always found it interesting that they have an innate drive to assist in this process by sunbathing.  

I wondered if it had to do with vitamin D!  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@BlueFinch That's really interesting, thanks!

Respected Contributor

I'm thinking that they like the warmth. I think I'll go join my cat laying in the sun coming in upstairs.It's very cold here today. It was around 15 this a.m. and now 24.

Respected Contributor

@catter70 I used to think they were just seeking the warmth of the sun, too. I'm sure if it's really cold, they might just be enjoying the warmth.  

However, here in TX, even with temps in the 90's, my dog will stretch out on the deck a couple of times a week. I don't know how he can stand it. Once his sunbathing is over, he'll find a shady spot, or ask to come back inside.  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fight over a sunbeam

[ Edited ]

I am above the 45th so the sun never moves to the north side of the house.  We have a lot of cloudy days too, so when we have sun you can tell what time it is by seeing where the dog is.

There is a point in the morning when the sun is only thru the high windows over the stairs.  Silly big lug tries to lay on the stairs.  She is really is too big to do one step and rolls off to much fanfare.  Then she tries up/down the treads.  Life is rough. 

Honored Contributor

Both of my dogs are of the herding breeds and have heavy undetcoats,  except for the coldest winter days, they avoid lying in the sun.  Even the house is often too warm for them in the winter.

Both Chihuahuas and cats love warmth.  I think that's why they seek sunbeams.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Aren’t animals fascinating?  I wish they could talk and I sometimes wish we humans could be more like them...