Esteemed Contributor

Feral Mama/ Newborns/ 11 degrees.

@PamfromCT ,

That's where I've been for three days. Painful to endure.

Hope you read the last 'M" message.

So tired...worried without any resource.

Hope to hear that you may be back later - ?maybe later afternoon Thursday. On the other thread... I don't think you have read. ???????????????????

So much for asking for help with "THESE" shelters.

My hefty donations stop immediately...that they will miss. 

Cold weather is excruciating pain for the helpless pets. 

Yes, I am angry!

Respected Contributor

Re: Feral Mama/ Newborns/ 11 degrees.

HUH  ?????

Honored Contributor

@NAES1   I scanned through the first ten pages of PamfromCT's posts and couldn't figure out which one you were referring to.  I can imagine the situation, though, and it sounds like feral kittens and mom are out in 11 degree weather, which could be deadly for all of them.  Perhaps you could post a link to the post.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

@NAES1 

It sounds like you care very much about these poor animals out in the cold and that no rescue was willing to help.  I am sorry they would not step up - I am seeing more of that in my area, too, and I breaks my heart. 

If you want to specifically help this mama and her litter, take the money you will save from not donating to the organizations that failed to meet the need and spend a little on shelter for this mama.  Go to the site for khmfg (K&H manufacturing makes pet products that include wonderful heated outdoor items for pets.  They have a section for "cats" - then go to "outdoor heated cat beds & bowls" in the drop-down menu.  You should be able to provide warmth, shelter and food/water that will not freeze.  I am sure this mama will be so grateful to you. All you need is an outdoor electrical outlet.

I put out a heated water bowl for all the outdoor animals in the winter because their access to anything to drink is practically non-existent in frozen winter.  I also use the flat heated beds (only get the "soft" version if you pick one of those) for my own pets inside and they love it.  Those are good/safe both inside and outside.  You leave them plugged in 24/7 and the heat temp is designed for an animal's body which has different temp needs than a human.  A human's heating pad could burn an animal.

Bless you for caring about these forgotten animals stuck in the cold!

Note: I recommend these a lot, but I have no connection to the company - I'm just an animal lover passing on valuable information.
Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

@NAES1 @See if you can’t get the media to pick up this story...that will get a lot of attention.I hate to think of those poor animals freezing.

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack, I will give you some brief info of why @NAES1, my dear friend, is looking for me.  We lost our dear Lily kitty and adopted a kitty from one of these foster groups, no physical shelter.  Despite every effort, our new kitty had some severe behavioral problems.  Attacking for no reason, drawing blood.

After a few months, we felt we had to return him.  We are an elderly couple and do not need this.  And then we find out they knew kitty had problems.  We are both sick about this.  In particular, I am devastated.

Pam

Honored Contributor

I am so sorry @PamfromCT .  What an awful experience for you and your husband.  You obviously had no choice but to return the kitten.  They should never have let anyone adopt the kitten.  So sad.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@NickNack wrote:

@NAES1   I scanned through the first ten pages of PamfromCT's posts and couldn't figure out which one you were referring to.  I can imagine the situation, though, and it sounds like feral kittens and mom are out in 11 degree weather, which could be deadly for all of them.  Perhaps you could post a link to the post.

@PamfromCT , @NickNack , @dex , @Havarti 

Nick Nack, Thank you~ TO each poster that had the the time to read. Heart  NAES

That is exactly THE situation.

My dilemma is;

I was posted through an acquaintance across town of two elderly ladies/ sisters that opened their attached storage door to their home, finding recently new born kittens ...and the mother ran out.          The sisters, both, have a physical disability, so with some keen `smarts` prepared a basket of straw and warmth until the mother (??would come back)).

The sisters are said to be unable to be out going to house to house asking. One mentioned no one will help find a black cat, nor do they want any around. 

The mother is apparently a feral. During the night the mama did come back and has removed the kittens. 

I had offered to help, and thought that at least ONE shelter could help trap, treat check each out (a spay after the weaning), then have the kittens placed for adoption.

SPCA: NO PICK ups for any animal, now. THE OTHER PET FACILITIES HAS A RINGING PHONE- NO ONE ANSWERING. Whom do I trust with all of the great advertisements for donations helping pets in distress? Not any, now.

SPCA; The female employee told me that the mama cat would take the kittens to a hide-a-way where it's warm. Oh sure, in 11 degree weather.... !!

That's where I come in, or came in 3 days ago. Wherever she moved them it's a guessing game. Also, I am not familiar with that area. Will try, though. 

Trying to come up with an idea and thought what @Havarti  mentioned about the pet house with heated pad would be great.

I would buy, have delivered, hoping the MOM CAT would return since the 2 sisters are placing food & water out.

I did read  from one sentence 

(I HAD READ ) a black cat..{{same as she}} crossed over their lawn Tuesday night. 

I am trying to touch base with sisters to let them know I would buy the pet house, have it for the cat's warmth, keep the kittens safe with a heated Pet Pad until we can find another solution. I have heard nothing since yesterday morning. I have no idea if MOM would ever return. 

If I even had a clue to their whereabouts, I would ask the property owners if I could do the same ...as a pet house set up, but unfortunately no one knows or has messaged from that area they might have seen or know anything.  

Very simply stated with your guess that I have highlighted. Thank you for your kindness, instead of a HUH?

Honored Contributor

@NAES1   Thank you for explaining the very sad situation.  I don't know if I'm surprised or not that no shelter will help.  That was ridiculous to suggest that the mom would find a warm place for the kittens though.  It sounds like they had the warmest situation possible in the sisters' storage space, although that wasn't really warm.

I do hope you or someone is able to find them and help them.  You are very kind to try to help.

-Henry David Thoreau

Esteemed Contributor

@Havarti ,

I have been on line scrolling through K&H. Thank you ~so~ very much. 

I am placing an ALERT message to the area -'what is a guess', of a mentioned lane MOM may have traveled to. She probably cannot go very far. I am asking IF anyone knows of, has heard sounds of baby kittens, has seen a black mama cat going in & out, and to please notify me. 

It's my best shot, also, I am placing an ad 'REWARD' who may have some information, but not to disturb, handle or try to catch. 

If this comes tofruition with a happy ending, I'll be more than ecstatic. 

I am trying to locate the 2 disabled sisters for their help by setting up a warm pad for one of these houses on their property, since the mom cat is possibly eating the food they are putting out food/w/ water. 

We feed all of our huge back yard critters each morning, along with keeping the water unfrozen. We have done this since for years....and believe, either taken in all feral cats' needs, one we finally adopted after 8 months. 

This is the 1st time I've been notified (well anyone if reading) of anything remotely close to kittens and a feral mother out in this harsh weather. 

Thank you for the information.  Heart