Regular Contributor

Femoral Head/Neck Osteotomy for Dogs

Is there anyone out there that has had this surgery done on their dog.  It is the removal of the ball in the hip joint and it is not replaced by anything.

Just found out today that our 13 year old miniature poodle needs to have this surgery done.  His left hip is in such bad shape that the vet could not beleive that he gets around as well as he does.

I am wondering what the outcome was and how is your dog doing now.  Did you spend time with your pet doing rehabilition?  I have been reading up on it and the end result seems to be good but the dog's leg is shorter than the other one and they can end up with a limp.

We don't really have a choice as the situation is pretty grim with the hip.  Our dog is 13 but does not act it or behave like he is that old.  He is in good health, very active, happy and loving but is in a lot of pain with the back leg.

Any comments or suggestions would be apprecaited. 

Thanks,

Trusted Contributor

Re: Femoral Head/Neck Osteotomy for Dogs

My dog had this done at 3 months old. He was thrown from a car and hit by on coming vehicle.  The vet he was taken to didn't have the heart to put him down so called in a friend who is an osteopathic surgeon and he had the surgery done as well as had pins in his other legs, etc, etc.  Fast forward 2016, he will be 6 yrs old, knock on wood gets around fine. He takes meds every day (carprofen) and the scar from surgery is quite prominent.  The leg that lost the "ball" is shorter ( he broke his leg and it hit his growth plate) and his leg is bowed out but considering the extent of his surgery, he is doing great. 

Discuss your dogs overall health with your vet extensively prior to having this done.  It's more common  surgery than you would think but is still extensive, especially for an older dog.  Very best of luck to you and your pup, I will say a special prayer and keep my fingers and toes crossed. 

Occasional Contributor

Our cat had this procedure done about 5 years ago.  Her recovery was around 6 months, but she can run and jump now like nobody's business.  It was hard to see her in pain, but the meds helped.  You will be happy once your baby is back to normal. Wishing you the best!

Regular Contributor

Thanks to both of you for your comments.  We did discuss out dogs overall health today and he is in very good shape for his age. As I stated he is very active in spite the the pain that he has in the hip and is always on the go and wants to play.  His heart is good and we will have blood work done again on him before hte surgery but the blood work we had done a year ago was fine so I am sure it will be again.

We also had chest xrays done today to make sure his lungs were clear and that there were no nodules or lesions in the lungs (cancer) because of the extensice detoriation in the joint we wanted to make sure that there was no evident cancer present.  We are going to have the removed joint checked out for cancer just to make sure.

So sad to hear about your dog being in the accident and all of the damage that was done to him but yet he has recovered and is doing well.  And happy to hear that your cat is doing so well.

Thanks again.

Respected Contributor

I have never heard of this. It's interesting. Good for you for doing your homework and finding out as much as you can. It doesn't sound like you have a lot of choice. You want to do the best For your pup. 

What caused the problem? Arthritis?

I wonder if walking with a limp, or at least walking differently, will affect other parts of his body as it sometimes does with humans who limp or walk awkwardly. 

Did you say when the surgery is? Post back and let us know how it goes.

Super Contributor

Two basset hounds of mine were running playing tag in the back yard. The next morning the older female basset was laying in the yard.

SHE never walked again. She lost all muscles in her legs and hips

I had her for two years after this, I kept her clean back there

15 GREAT years !

Thank you Amy girl !

Good luck with your baby :-)

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Regular Contributor

Is there anyone else out there that can chime in or shed some light on this surgery if they have or had a dog that had this done or if they know of someone whose pet had the surgery.  I was hoping to find out more about the recovery period, rehabilitation and final outcome.

Thanks again.