Valued Contributor

Female cat hangs on edge of box to urinate outside the box

This has gone on for almost a year. Sometimes she will go for several days and be fine. Then it starts up again.

I have tried many types of litter, doesn't seem to matter.

I've started using pads under the box to catch the spill.

Help!

Respected Contributor

Re: Female cat hangs on edge of box to urinate outside the box

Hello, Soushi24. Smiley Happy

I'm clueless when to comes to cats, but how old is your cat? Did anything change in your house, like the cat's food, toys, a new pet(s), new objects in the house, stray cats roaming around the property?

I saw on an episode with Jackson Galaxy that cats will sometimes mark their scent all over the house to claim their territory if other cats are nearby.

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder
Trusted Contributor

Have you taken her to a vet to make sure she doesn't have any issues?  Otherwise, I would purchase a new litter box - maybe she thinks the one you have is dirty even if the litter is clean. Also, too many changes in the litter is not good.  Some cats are more peculiar than others when it comes to their litter boxes.  I switched my cat to pine and it's been great.  It was a transition having to combine the old litter and the pine and gradually reduce to all pine, but we made it through - I was tired of all the litter and the dust, etc.  I wanted natural and healthy for him. Good luck!

Valued Contributor

Let me give some more information. Cat is around 12 years old.

I have tried a new litter box that is not as tall, thinking that might help. Took the lid off so it was top less. Scrubbed out the box. Went on line with my question.

I really want to help. Okay, next step is the vet. But don't think that will be the issue.

Trusted Contributor

@Soushi24 wrote:

Let me give some more information. Cat is around 12 years old.

I have tried a new litter box that is not as tall, thinking that might help. Took the lid off so it was top less. Scrubbed out the box. Went on line with my question.

I really want to help. Okay, next step is the vet. But don't think that will be the issue.

I understand she is an older cat which is why I would still suggest a vet check just to rule out whether there is anything going on.  It could be a UTI, a kidney issue or nothing at all.  Also make sure the litter box is big enough so she has room.  No amount of cleaning will remove an odor in the box that the cat may not like.  Good luck and let me know what you hear back.  

Trusted Contributor

I would start with a vet visit.   It could be kidney stones.    How about diet change?     Any acid/alkaline balance could be a reason.    Is she cleaning herself their more (itchies or soreness)?  

If her "environment" has changed, she could be saying something to you.    Any new pets?   Any change in the house?    Are YOU stressed, had a routine change?     

How about brand of litter?    The cat is not declawed, I hope.     Placement of litter changed?    More than 1 litterbox?     I'm glad you tried changing the box itself.    

I hope the vet helps you narrow down some possibilities.

Respected Contributor

Take her to her vet to rule a UTI and to ask the vet for his take on this.  However, I had a similar experience with my cat.  It started suddenly when she was about 12 years old.  She had no health issues and she was spry and active.....she lived to be 19 years old.  But for some odd reason, she would only pee once in her litter box and after that, she wouldn't pee in it anymore.  She did it outside the box, right beside the box.  It was behavioral.  The vet just said we would have to find a work around because we weren't going to break the habit.  She had her reasons for it.  She just coulnd't explain them to us.    We used disposable litter trays and put pads outside the box and newspaper on top of the pads and that worked until she went to kitty heaven several months ago. 

Honored Contributor

So her body is actually inside the box but she peeing over the edge to the outside or the other way around? Here are my possible ideas

If the first then it could be the box is too small

Box is dirty and she doesn't want to get near the dirty part. Some cats won't use a dirty box and even one poop in it is enough to dissuade them.  Solution, more boxes

How many boxes do you have? Does she do this with all the boxes? You need one more box than the number of cats you have at minimum so with one cat two boxes. 

If she's actually outside the box but peeing right next to it, this leads me to think that she wants to use the box but it's associated with pain for her.  arthritis or UTI are the most common causes but it can also be she doesn't like the litter being used. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

Sounds like a female cat we had, we tried every thing, the vet gave her a clean bill of health and she continued to frequently do her duty out side the litter box. We put up with this until the day she died and she started this behavior when she was about 7 years old. Good luck.

Contributor

The cat could have a urinary tract infection. Take her to the Vet.