Regular Contributor

Has anybody ever used this for a cat that won’t let you pet or touch her?

Honored Contributor

@jagk- Is this the cat that your DH found in a barn and that you rescued?

It can take a very long time for an animal to learn to trust.  I've used Feliway (the furniture spray and the plug-in Comfort-Zone diffusers) when we had rescued a cat who was almost feral.

She's a sealpoint Siamese, but had a hard life before arriving at our local no-kill shelter.  They didn't think anyone would ever adopt her.  Of course, having two other female cats at the time, it was uproar, introducing another one.

It took quite a while before she trusted us enough to even come into the same room.  I think the Feliway diffusers helped to calm the tensions in the house, but it took a lot of time and patience.  Nearly two years.

I wish you could see her now.  In fact, right now, she's stretched out on my DH's office desk, getting her tummy rubbed by him.

Esteemed Contributor

We've used Feliway to calm one of our cats who showed up as a kitten during a snow storm 7 years ago (someone dumped him). He wasn't used to being petted or loved, and it took time for him to start trusting us. He seemed to "learn" to trust us from watching our other cats that he bonded with. So no, the Feliway did not do anything to help us pet him. It took time and patience to get him to trust us on his terms. Feliway did help get him to the vet. We sprayed a little Feliway on a towel and put it over the carrier - that calmed him and helped with the vet appointment for his annual shots.

By the way, the only way we could get him into the carrier was to pick him up by the nape of his neck like a mama cat does. It's possible that Feliway will help to calm your kitty down, but don't expect miracles. Your kitty will decide when she trusts you enough. If you have other pets in the house, make sure they're leaving her alone.

Regular Contributor

Yes it is the same cat. Some days it seems like we’re making a little progress and the next day we’re back to the beginning.

Honored Contributor

I've been using Feliway for 13 yrs on my extremely aggressive, biter, non affectionate cat.

Feliway works but you should know if your cat does not like to be petted or touched, w/Feliway the petting & touching should NOT last no more than 5 minutes initially.  Let the cat come to YOU.

You will need to work your way up to longer minutes.  You have to be repetitive & patient.

Took my cat 13 yrs to let me pet him for 10-15 minutes tops.  I know the signs when to stop.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @jagk .... FROM NAES

@jagk wrote:

Yes, I have use Feliway - suggested by a very dear friend, here when we had an older adopted kitten-like adult cat that was so distressed from being abandoned at age '10' on her birthday we had many issues to tend to due to her stress level. I can not advise if Feliway would be considered as any mild sedation but it Finally did help her calm down enough for some sleep. She was already a clingy kitty, meaning she had to have lived with someone bedrriden or definitely a lap cat. We have TRIED two times to tame a feral homeless female, but the distress was too great. She feared everything -it had taken about 8 months before she -appeared- to may BE eat from the deck, but never to touch or hold....that may could have come later. She died under a bush from an apparent cat bite where she was infused with a horrible infection. Please be careful while attempting to pick up any pet. There is no foolproof insight that one would bite not mean, but scared. give time, feed & water and in time she HAS to to 

Esteemed Contributor

Hello @jagk .... FROM NAES

@jagk wrote:

Our cat now, was adopted 2 years ago, (AGE 9) and to this day will not let us touch her head or pick her up, but WILL stay right with us and has adapted to our home with a lot of love. She loves to be brushed but never have we held longer than 6 seconds to carry her to another side..she jumps down. 

@jagk  > continuing.....

Yes, I have use Feliway - suggested by a very dear friend, here when we had an older adopted kitten-like adult cat that was so distressed from being abandoned at age '10' on her birthday we had many issues to tend to due to her stress level. I can not advise if Feliway would be considered as any mild sedation but it Finally did help her calm down enough for some sleep.

She was already a clingy kitty, meaning she had to have lived with someone bedridden, or definitely a lap cat. We have TRIED two times to tame a feral homeless female, but the distress was too great. She feared everything -it had taken about 8 months before she -appeared- to may BE eat from the deck, but never to touch or hold....that may could have come later.

She died under a bush from an apparent cat bite where she was infused with a horrible infection.

Please be careful while attempting to pick up any pet. There is no foolproof insight that one would bite not mean, but scared. give time, feed & water and in time she HAS to come to you with 100 trust.

I believe Feliway is for the cat that you may already have and is in need of being calmed down... nothing as mentioned before like a sedation, more in tune with soothing drowsiness . I am hoping that your patience remains strong. We did finally have SUCCESS with one homeless male about the age of five, and did just great, but 'THAT' had taken almost 6 months to be an 50 - 50 indoor / outdoor kitty.

He was a delight to have and love.

!!!  IT IS possible  !!! 

We had him for over 5.5 years.

He had many health issues but did come out of most by year #1 having him. Keep HOPE alive and he or she will earn your trust. 

Esteemed Contributor

@jagk 

I apologize for the jumping of the Internet THERE. I have the post together, but with the usual flipping and bouncing around, I hope that you can make sense of this. Thank you and my best. 

NAES

Respected Contributor

Don't Give Up The Good Fight for the love of the kiddencat....it will come in time Sooty - really it will.  Patience and trust are SLOW roads to success.  Hang In There!