Esteemed Contributor

My cat, Simone, went to the vet yesterday for her annual checkup and rabies vaccine. She is an obsessive groomer, and we couldn't find out what's causing it. The exam went well, so the vet thinks that it could be some anxiety that's causing this and gave us a calming collar for her to wear: Nurture Calm pheromone collar. 

No clue as to what is causing the anxiety, but the collar seems OK. Simone got used to it after a couple hours, and she hasn't been grooming as much today. I'm hoping this will work out. Has anyone else used a calming collar for their pet? And if it worked? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Super Contributor

I have used the collar, once on an 11 year old cat moving in the car in a big dog cage with his water, food and litter for 9 hours.  No problems.  It worked well, e put it on him the night before.

The other 6 year old cat to calm her from attacking the new cat to the house and had no results. Also tried to get her from excessive grooming, no luck.  Also tried plug in and calming treats.  She is my cross!  We use a gate and she will listen when we tell her not to jump.  If we are out I have a door shut.🤷🏻‍♀️🐈

Honored Contributor

Re: Feline calming collar

[ Edited ]

Our little guy won't stop biting his foot.  We have tried everything.. We have to use a hood and keep whatever foot he is favoring to munch on wrapped in gauze.  The vet has given him a bill of clean health.  He is healthy, happy, frisky and mightily spoiled.

One of the strategies to stop his foot biting is changing his food.  This has not helped in the past. We had tried switching protein sources as my husband read that the high protein in some meat could be a source of the problem.  He was eating raw and we switched him to lamb as that was suppose to be less meat protein and better for the obsessive licking/biting.  At first it seemed to work, but before long he was back to his habit.   Food changes are done slowly with great care but weren't working at this point.

We had tried vegan food also, but he wasn't interested. We hadn't tried vegan Halo and some reviews had success with compulsive licking/biting with this food.  We now are using both the soft and crunchy vegan version of Halo.  He loves his food and so far so good, but we closely monitor.  

Unfortunately, this might not work with a cat, they are obligate carnivores.  But, you might want to consider the food you are using. I mention this in case the collar doesn't work for Simone.  I hope it does and I'll check if there is one for dogs.  Please keep us posted and best of luck!

Editing to add:  I just thought Halo also has nonvegan food if you want to look into it for Simone.

Honored Contributor

Only thing that works for my monster....

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at Sun, Aug 7, 2022-12.28.14 PM.png

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Respected Contributor

I also have an obsessive groomer, and she is a Persian.  She will bite herself as well if she feels uncomfortable at all on her skin.  Sometimes she is very sensitive to even being touched.

However, this only happens at certain times of the year, not non-stop, so I do not know if it is weather or hormones, or ??  She is ten years old, and has been on the same diet for years, so no need to change her food.  I have other cats as well, one of them related to her, and none of them have this issue, so it is her individual body chemistry.

The best solution I have found is one of the little dog sweaters.  Once I get it on her, she wears it comfortably.  Her skin and fur have a chance to heal and she is much calmer as she is not able to lick herself.  No pills or drugs are involved. After a week or so, I remove it and she is back to normal.

Respected Contributor

I bought a plug in, I have a male that bullies the other two kitties, I didn't notice much difference maybe I should try the collar on him  My female over grooms some I'm sure due to the stress of living with the bully.  

Is the collar by prescription or over the counter?

Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw We have 2 male cats, a 7 yr old & a 2 yr old or so, the 7 yr old kind of adopted the 2 yr old as he was a stray & they kind of get along like you see on the nature shows of big cats fighting but lately it seemed a little more vicious.

So, we got a feliway for multiple cats (isn't a collar but is a plug in pherimone thingie) & they've been using it for about 2 weeks now, at first it seemed to make a difference but now it seems like they're back to the way it was before.  But, we're keeping our fingers crossed.

I'm hoping the collar will work for your cat & would love it if you could keep us posted.  Good luck.

Esteemed Contributor

I'll give an update in a few weeks. Everything seems fine now, but I won't know for sure until later. 

The vet gave us the collar (included the price with the exam cost), but it can also be ordered OTC from Amazon, Chewy and other sites. The one I have is  Nurture Calm pheromone collar, but there are other kinds available.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

Only thing that works for my monster....

Screen Shot 2022-08-07 at Sun, Aug 7, 2022-12.28.14 PM.png

@Mz iMac @Could you post pic of the ingredients. 

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D   You can do that yourself by using a search engine.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif