Frequent Contributor

@fortune wrote:

@lucieinthesky wrote:

Almost 15 years ago, a cute little dachsund puppy came into my life at a time I didn't think anything could possibly help me. I had lost a son to cancer and the grief was killing me. I didn't think I could ever smile again. A friend needed to find a home for this puppy and asked me if I would take him. Well, I love dogs, but, wasn't sure I  had it in me to take care of anything. Reluctantly, I took him. Well, he has been my constant little companion all these years getting me through some tough times. 

Even at his advanced age, he still loves to play ball and be chased. Still gets excited if I mention the park. I noticed this week, though, that his breathing even while sleeping is very labored. Took him to the vet and was told he has congestive heart failure and bloodwork revealed that his kidneys are not the best. So, he's been put on 2 meds for his heart and  lasix to get the build up of fluid off of his heart. Of course, the lasix is bad for his kidneys.

Of course, my logical self knows that he has had a nice long life - much better than a lot of other dogs -  and at some point the day comes when we have to let them go. However,my heart is breaking at the thought of that day and the many days without him that will follow.

@lucieinthesky

My heart aches for you, lucie!  You sure are lucky, though, that you had this sweet puppy in your life for at least 15 years!!  Take lots of pictures of him and spend lots of time with him.  My granddog, Jasper, was sent to my son and I after we lost my other son, who was 15.  He, like your doggie, is a very special soul who has added so much love and fun to our lives!  I just know he was stitched by the angels and is one of God's favorite furry babies!  I'm not even a religious person!  Just know that your baby will always have a place in your heart, and you will never forget your sweet memories of him.  Here is a picture of our doggie, Jasper!

A GOOD SENSE OF HUMOR IS KEY!.jpg

Oh, he is such a cutie! Thank you for your kind reply.

Frequent Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

@lucieinthesky  I am so sorry to hear your news.  Try not to dwell on the end when you still have time left with him.  Cherish each moment.  All he knows is love from you.  Try not to let him sense your sadness.......I know that is hard.

He isn't gone yet!  Be thankful in that.  We are here for you, because most of us have been right where you are now.  You are not alone.

You are right - he is not gone yet and I do want to focus on that. It's really hard not to dwell on what my home will be like after he is gone, though. After my son passed away, I hated coming back here after being gone for awhile. Thank you so much for your kind reply and I do cherish each moment with him - he has given me so much joy and  it's unbelievable how much I love him. 

Super Contributor

Hi Lucie! I can relate to how you are feeling as well.  It is hard to think of losing our babies when they become older.  My 11 year old bichon has had cancer and now an enlarged heart.  I was beside myself hearing both of these diagnosis.  But she is still with us having had surgery and radiation,  She is now on heart meds as well.  Take her to a cardiologist if you feel things are worsening.  In the meantime, don't give up yet! She is on meds and that should give her more time! Enjoy your time with your baby!

Honored Contributor

@lucieinthesky wrote:

Almost 15 years ago, a cute little dachsund puppy came into my life at a time I didn't think anything could possibly help me. I had lost a son to cancer and the grief was killing me. I didn't think I could ever smile again. A friend needed to find a home for this puppy and asked me if I would take him. Well, I love dogs, but, wasn't sure I  had it in me to take care of anything. Reluctantly, I took him. Well, he has been my constant little companion all these years getting me through some tough times. 

Even at his advanced age, he still loves to play ball and be chased. Still gets excited if I mention the park. I noticed this week, though, that his breathing even while sleeping is very labored. Took him to the vet and was told he has congestive heart failure and bloodwork revealed that his kidneys are not the best. So, he's been put on 2 meds for his heart and  lasix to get the build up of fluid off of his heart. Of course, the lasix is bad for his kidneys.

Of course, my logical self knows that he has had a nice long life - much better than a lot of other dogs -  and at some point the day comes when we have to let them go. However,my heart is breaking at the thought of that day and the many days without him that will follow.

@lucieinthesky

My heartfelt condolences on the loss of your son. Cherish and cuddle your sweet dog. Prayers for you and your dog. Focus on the good and optimistic happening right now!!!!

Sending pets, belly rubs and kisses to your dog❤️

Esteemed Contributor

Stay strong!  I had a cat with both conditions (among others) who lived years after diagnosis.  Try to live in the present, as your beloved dog does, showing him the joy he's always brought to you.  

It is hard, I know.  He's relying on your steady hand and heart.  Enjoy the simple pleasure of being with him .... cherish every day!  And know we are with you as you both begin this journey.

Frequent Contributor

Thank you to all for your comforting and encouraging words. I know so many of you understand exactly how I am feeling. He has given to me over and over so much joy and I just love him so much!

IMG_4424.JPG

Honored Contributor

I understand how you feel.  

Esteemed Contributor

So very sorry!  I can tell you that a friend of mine had a wonderful dog with same problem.  He was on lots of meds, too.  He swore to me what helped was feeding him Fromm's Gold kibble.  Now, I don't know but his dog did very well for a couple of years.  Then one day after a swim, his furbaby's favorite thing, he had to lift him out of the pool as he was too weak.  Then my friend had to give up the battle.  But, hang in there and enjoy the time you have with your special, loving pup.

Honored Contributor

It is a sad time for you I know, but I also had a dog with the same problems and she lived a fine life for quite a few years after her diagnosis, also on lasix, so don't lose hope just yet. 

I've always found the last years of our pets' lives to be the ones I love the most.  Yes, they're slower, grayer and usually have at least a few health problems by then, but there's something about their inherent peacefulness and dignity at that point that just melts my heart.  Enjoy your time together.

Honored Contributor

Oh Lucy, we could cry together. It's been 2 weeks and I still cry off and on. I am coming to terms on this. I wish you the best, but you are right, the choice to love them the most, when you know in your heart, you have to let them go. If you need to make that decision, know that others understand, and we're standing with you, and holding you in our hearts.