Esteemed Contributor

Fear Free Veterinary Practice

I had not heard about this program until my vet's office announced they have received certification as a Fear Free practice.  The entire staff has been trained and certified.

The linked article provides some information about the program.  There is an embedded link to the Fear Free website.  There is also a program for pet owners.

https://www.avma.org/News/JAVMANews/Pages/160601r.aspx

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Fear Free Veterinary Practice

One of my vets has had this cert for a few years now. Honestly, I don't find it any better than my other vets. If a practice isn't gentle and kind to my animal, I don't go there. I don't need them to be "certified" fear free by any entity. Seems like that would be something all vets would aim for naturally. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Very interesting thanks for the article. Sadly I doubt that my dog would have reacted any differently at a Fear Free certified practice then any any other good Vet practice. My dog was just plain fearful of vet visits from the moment we arrived in the parking lot and walked in the door. I know for sure he couldnt read the certificate LOL (wink LOL) They tried all kinds of things but his fear of vet visits never got any better. Now if only my doctors would have a fear free certification for me hehe. Maybe was the needles he remembered that ouch fear free cert or not ...that he remembered....or the surgery. He was so fearful of getting his mails clipped. Ughh Is nice though they have this and I wonder in a study if it would make a whole lot of difference or depends on the animal?

Honored Contributor

I could use some calming meds before I get the bill.  Cat LOLCat Wink

Esteemed Contributor

The practice I go to has been working towards these standards.  Fear Free is a little misleading, it is more about making the pets more comfortable during the visit.  Just as some doctors have better bedside manners and office staff than others so do vets.   Most vets are not trained behaviorists and take more of the clinical approach. 

The last time I was there the vet was talking the techs through the signs that my fearful dog was giving and how to approach and handle her.  Things like using a soothing calm voice, putting her in an exam room not next to the barking dog and not petting her on the head helped.  She is a fearful dog and has a precaution is usually musseled.  My vet suggested I purchase my own so we can practice at home so it is not a scary vet thing.  She even prescribed a medication to give her before we arrive to help calm her.

Will all these things make going to the vet for her "fear free", no.  Does it make it a little more comfortable and stress free for everyone, I hope so.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

LOL @Stormygirl, I'm with you about fear free doctors.  Even before the certification I often wished my vet could treat me instead of my doctor.

I took the time to read the recap of each segment of the program along with a couple of articles I found on search and my vet already practices many of the program recommendations.  I think one of the most important aspects is teaching pet owners ways to minimize stress before the animal even gets to the office.

I've been very fortunate with my crew.  Even the cats are comfortable at the vet's but they sure do complain on the drive over.  The dogs are both very happy to go and see their "friends".  Then again they are both ecstatic to have someone new fussing over them.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy, one of the articles I read about the program described the featured vet spraying Adaptil or Feliway on his scrubs before entering the exam room to help calm dogs and cats, as well as having the pheremones in the exam rooms and on the towels, etc.

He also recommends that pet owners use either Adaptil or Feliway while bringing the animal to the office.  I have routinely sprayed Feliway on the towel in my cat carrier and on the carrier itself.  I know it helps with my crew.  The dogs are always excited to go so they are not a problem.

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@CrazyDaisy, one of the articles I read about the program described the featured vet spraying Adaptil or Feliway on his scrubs before entering the exam room to help calm dogs and cats, as well as having the pheremones in the exam rooms and on the towels, etc.

He also recommends that pet owners use either Adaptil or Feliway while bringing the animal to the office.  I have routinely sprayed Feliway on the towel in my cat carrier and on the carrier itself.  I know it helps with my crew.  The dogs are always excited to go so they are not a problem.

Have tried ALL the natural calming products on the market, nothing works with her.  She takes Prozac everyday, and even with that it has taken years of behavior modification to get her "almost normal".  Basically she just is not comfortable being touched or restrained by strangers and is afraid of strange dogs.  Because of that she will react poorly if pushed.  Really makes for a difficult trip to a vet.  Strangely when the exam is over and we are waiting to pay the bill she is calm as can be. 

None of these techniques are going to make a trip to the vet enjoyable, however whatever they can do to understand her behavior and help her cope with what needs to be done is good in my book.  I would guess that for most people this would be a non-issue, however for those with difficult pets it is god sent.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy, are you fortunate enough to live in an area that has either mobile vet services or vets that make house calls?  Perhaps you could get your regular vet to come to you and your dog instead of going to the office for routine exams, etc.

I'd offer big hugs to your dog but will respect her not wanting to be touched.  Have you considered some degree of canine autism as a cause?

Esteemed Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@CrazyDaisy, are you fortunate enough to live in an area that has either mobile vet services or vets that make house calls?  Perhaps you could get your regular vet to come to you and your dog instead of going to the office for routine exams, etc.

I'd offer big hugs to your dog but will respect her not wanting to be touched.  Have you considered some degree of canine autism as a cause?

Would not matter where you are, you just need to respect her space.  She was abused as a puppy and left in an abandon house to die with her litter mates.  Only a select few can pet her and I am the only one who can give her a hug.  She will sleep up on the bed or sit on the couch but not where she is touching you.  It is all about trust. She has come a very long way and even has a little brother now but she will always have issues that need to be managed.

The vet tries to work within her comfort zone, however there are times when she just has to be touched.  Making those times less stressful is what it is all about.