Honored Contributor

Fall today while on my dog walk....😪

[ Edited ]

Was having a wonderful walk this morning with my two dogs.  On the way back, about a block from home, we were on the sidewalk, suddenly this huge dog comes through a hole in the fence next to the sidewalk..... head out, practically out  all the way attacking and snarling at me and my dogs on leashes.  Well, my dogs who are non reactive to anything  went into protective mode and both  my 80 pound dogs pulled me down to the ground.    I layed there holding on to the leash trying to pull them back to no avail.  I think the owner of the  attacking dog got his dog and put him inside the house as the barking stopped, and my dogs calmed down.  Both my dogs were looking down at  me  "like what are you doing"?

A lady from across the street came out asking if I needed help.  I was very shaken up.  Not sure how I was.... as I got up from the sidewalk.  I Told  her what happened.  She said was going over to speak to the neighbor who's dog attacked through the fence. I could hear  the dog in house barking at her as she knocked on the door.  The man who owned the dog came out....acted surprised that His dog acted like that. 👎told him that his dogs always act like that and that they come through holes in  fence all the time through broken boards.  Also, the fence is too low and the dog also comes over top the fence with their  front feet  hanging over the fence attacking as I go buy.  I told him what if two loose boards came off and your dog came out and attacked  me?  He told me that he leased the house and could not fix the fence. He said how sorry he was and would  keep a better eye on the dog.  Atleast he was apologetic and spoke with me.

This is not the not the first time my two dogs  and I have been attacked by other people's dogs.  Many times loose dogs. I am starting to feel uncomfortable walking my dogs anymore because of inconsiderate neighbors.  I may stop my dog walks after this...

I am sore from my fall... nothing broken thank God.  Mostly my pride was hurt🤕

Valued Contributor

Re: Fall today while on my dog walk....😪

Irresponsible pet owners drive me crazy. If he can't fix the fence, then he needs to keep his dog in the house, take him out to potty on a leash, and walk him on a leash for exercise. Training the dog would be a good idea too.  Glad you are ok.

“The price of light is less than the cost of darkness.”
– Arthur C. Nielsen
Respected Contributor

ALWAYS bring pepper spray with you when you go for a walk - with or without your dogs.  Keep it in your hand, ready!

ETERNITY: your choice... smoking or non smoking!
Honored Contributor

What if those dogs hurt a child next time? What if next time, something gets broken on you, like your head, and you end up in the hospital? Authorities need to be called. If the dog owners are renting, then the home owner needs to tend to that fence. Hope no one gets severly injured by the dog that did this.

Esteemed Contributor

I would suggest you call your ANIMAL CONTROL DIVISION of your local township.  File a report stating what happened today and how your neighbor says this happens often - dog is around without proper leash.  Get a report filed today!

Respected Contributor

Terrible.  I'm so sorry this happened to you.  Hope the irresponsible owner keeps his word and watches his dog so this never happens again.

Respected Contributor

I'm glad you're okay.  

15 years ago, I was in my neighborhood walking my small poodle, on a 6 ft leash, when a visiting black lab, supervised by a tiny boy (no leash) came running towards us.  I thought she was just going to say hi, but she grabbed my boy by the neck and pinned him to the ground.  I couldn't get there fast enough, and thought that she'd kill him.  We'll I got close enough, and was about to hit her, and she backed off.  

I found the owner, who told me how sweet and nice her dog was.  That she was outside around cats and dogs all the time, without incident.  Then she grilled me about what my dog and I were doing.  When she started going through the questions a second time, I told her to ask her little boy... he saw it all and confirmed my version of the events.

My Jake wasn't hurt, but was afraid of large dogs for the rest of his life.  The woman with the black lab has since moved into the house she was visiting that day.  She couldn't be nicer.  But, on that day, she didn't manage her dog properly.  None of us, including that small boy (now grown) will ever forget that day.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt wrote:

I would suggest you call your ANIMAL CONTROL DIVISION of your local township.  File a report stating what happened today and how your neighbor says this happens often - dog is around without proper leash.  Get a report filed today!

@fthunt  Actually, " I"   told the homeowner this happens often .....that his dogs get very aggressive over the fence and through holes in the fence. The dog was inside his fenced yard... but attacked through a hole in the fence.  I am not sure animal control could do much. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I'm happy to hear you and your dogs are ok.  I stopped walking my dog in my neighborhood for this same reason; other people's dogs either loose or not contained behind sturdy fences.  We only walk in a park now,  where I feel like I have some sort of control over how close other people's dogs get to us.

Honored Contributor

@Caligurll wrote:

@SeaMaiden  I'm happy to hear you and your dogs are ok.  I stopped walking my dog in my neighborhood for this same reason; other people's dogs either loose or not contained behind sturdy fences.  We only walk in a park now,  where I feel like I have some sort of control over how close other people's dogs get to us.

@Caligurll  We have a nice park that is a leash only park....problem is people go there and let their dogs loose to exercise them.  Then when I go there with my dogs on leash, other dogs attack my dogs.   It makes me not want to go there anymore.