Trusted Contributor

One of my three dogs, they are all little white ones and I don't know the breed of any, has a face licking addiction.

All of my dogs are from people who could no longer take care of them.

Our only girl dog, Pepper, licks mine and my DH face like crazy.

She keeps going until we have stop her.

I've looked into the Dog Whisperer's advice,  He said she was probably removed from her mother too soon and this is like suckling behavior.  Also, when she is licking, it raises her endorphins so she becomes happier.

Whlie I love my dogs and want them happy, this behavior is a little strange.

Does anyone else have a similar situation and if so, what was your solution?

Super Contributor

My dog, Peanut, is a rescue that is 6 years old now and a sweety   He loves to lick my legs arms and face especially after I have showered and put on one of the Philosophy body lotions.  I try and discourage him because I  think it may make him sick but it hasn't so far.  I do draw the line at my face.  I do not like face licking and when he does lick my cheek I move him or get up etc.  I just don't like that but I do think the other licking is normal.   He sometimes lickes the bedspread and loves to lick my tops after I have eaten I guess looking for crumbs.  

Bookbabe

Valued Contributor

I am owned by a cat who loves to lick me whenever he can.  He's very, very sweet and affectionate.  I got him from our local animal shelter so perhaps he always wants to be close to me and lick me is because he didn't receive any affection when he was young.

docsgirl

Honored Contributor

Re: Face licking question

[ Edited ]

I have a 3 year old female mutt that is a rescue.  She was sprung from animal control in El Paso, Tx., by collie rescue because someone thought she was an unusually nice dog and possibly part Sheltie (not).  She's also a compulsive licker.  It's like she can't help herself.  I've had a ton of dogs but she's the first I've had like this. 

I've tried everything I can think of to break her of the habit to no avail.  I don't like licking and never allow her to do it, even for a moment.  She's very obedient but telling her, "no" has no effect so I just push her away.  If theres a secret cure for licking, I dont know what it is.

Misty

20161226_160610.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

No expert but throwing out what worked for us - only our first dog wanted to kiss (lick).  Repeatedly - every time - a tap on her nose and said 'no' 'no lick'  'no lick' 'no lick'.  She got the message.  After that I made a kissing sound and we just touched noses saying 'kiss' 'kiss' 'kiss'. 

Honored Contributor

Our 14 year old cat Moe is a licker too, he's a stray from the farm down the road. He was always a licker, but it got worse after the older cats died off. I think he licks us because he has no one to groom.

Trusted Contributor

@Kachina624 Love the picture.  She looks very intelligent and her ears remind me of a cattle dog we had.

Trusted Contributor

@fthunt@I will try a gentle tap. this sounds like it could work.

Super Contributor

@Kachina624: such a beautiful dog!!

Honored Contributor

@Chicagosuburbangirl.   Thanks, she's a great, obedient,  friendly  dog except for the licking.  Of course when you get a rescue, you don't know about their background.  She doesn't seem to have been abused.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment