Honored Contributor

@Shanus.  So it's a matter of timing.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

@Kachina624

For me part of dealing with the licking was to try to figure out why she was doing it. I realized that telling her "no" seemed to make her stop for a second and start back. I also  felt like she did not get what she was doing wrong. I did talk with my vet about it . We decided that it was a self soothing behavior she was doing when she was happy.  She had a rough period in her earlier life. I started thinking about how she could do this behavior without sending me over the edge. I don't do face licks so I was able to get her to do snuggles instead with her safe licking toy.  It would send me over the edge to see her happily licking the carpet. It took trial and error to find just the right toys that she would lick. When I found one I kept giving it to her everytime she started licking and as she startted licking it I praised her. She was rewarded for licking a safe item instead of an unsafe item. It got to the point that she only licked her safe toywhich I could live with. I could wash the toy.

doxie

Honored Contributor

Re: Face licking question

[ Edited ]

The vet also said a licking habit could be boredom. We purchased dog puzzles & toys that have kibbles or treats hidden inside...wears out their minds figuring it out.