Super Contributor

Re: FRUIT SNACKS FOR FURBABIES

I don't have fruit or veggie recommendations, but we put our dog on a diet in October.  We went with the prescription weight loss food, and gave our dog the same treats as before, but only gave him 1/4 of a treat instead of the whole thing.   It turns out he didn't really care how big the treat was.  Portion control works on dogs too.     

Probably we could have gone faster with fruits and veggies, but this was pretty easy for us and he has lost a lot of weight.  Instead of obese, he is now chunky.  Athletically thin might take a really long time, but we'll get there.  

Respected Contributor

So far I didn't see anyone mention strawberries. They whiten the doggies' teeth and sweeten their breath.

Sending good wishes for your efforts. I know it isn't easy but I'm reminded of advice my trusted groomer gave me years ago - it's much easier for our 4-legged friends to lose weight than it is for us.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I must confess, @PhilaLady1 , I'm not strictly following her instructions.

If I sometimes make a beef stew or shephard's pie or another casserole type thing, I would adjust the recipe and share with Eddy.  So, I will refrain from that type of food for awhile.

Eddy has always had a combo of kibble (for vitamins) along with "people" food; and, I'm gonna continue to do so.  I have broken his treats in half so that should help his weight.  And, I'm gonna add fruit to his diet - bout a bag of Cortlands today; but, won't dip them into yogurt will serve them just plain.

Everybody's given me so many good ideas.  I'm so grateful.  I agree, just can't take away all the goodies at once.  So, will continue with the eggs, tuna, meats and veggies plus add some fruit.

Got good news today, Eddy's tests came back great!  Just gotta work on the pain pills and already told vet will be given sporadically as needed.  I'm just so glad all came back well so figure what we were doing was working so we'll continue - just a little less here and there!

@eddyandme 

Please reconsider giving him tuna, here is what the AKC Kennel Club and many other dog nutrition sites say about giving dogs tuna:

Can Dogs Eat Tuna? Can Dogs Eat Canned Tuna? (akc.org)

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks @KingstonsMom for making me aware.  

I also checked out Labradorite and guess tuna can be good and bad for dogs and humans.  It stated the smaller species are better, e.g., albacore is the next to smaller of the tuna family.  It's also important to limit the amount.

I've got a doggie cookbook with 75 holistic recipes and it does recommend tuna on the protein list.  So, thank you again, 'cause I never would have thought there could be a problem with tuna.

OT:  I'm gonna try him with peanut butter filled celery today and see how he likes (or not) it.  Can you believe sometimes he'll eat peanut butter, but sometimes he just doesn't like itWoman LOL - guess he's a little spoiled....  Oh weel, that's our job!Woman Wink

Esteemed Contributor

Fruit has a lot of sugar, suprised would be recommended as part of a weight loss program.

As far as good for dogs blueberries are good and watermelon keeps them feeling full.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

I must confess, @PhilaLady1 , I'm not strictly following her instructions.

If I sometimes make a beef stew or shephard's pie or another casserole type thing, I would adjust the recipe and share with Eddy.  So, I will refrain from that type of food for awhile.

Eddy has always had a combo of kibble (for vitamins) along with "people" food; and, I'm gonna continue to do so.  I have broken his treats in half so that should help his weight.  And, I'm gonna add fruit to his diet - bout a bag of Cortlands today; but, won't dip them into yogurt will serve them just plain.

Everybody's given me so many good ideas.  I'm so grateful.  I agree, just can't take away all the goodies at once.  So, will continue with the eggs, tuna, meats and veggies plus add some fruit.

Got good news today, Eddy's tests came back great!  Just gotta work on the pain pills and already told vet will be given sporadically as needed.  I'm just so glad all came back well so figure what we were doing was working so we'll continue - just a little less here and there!

Not sure why you would not follow your vets recommendation.  Excess weight is on a dog causes joint pain, mobility problems, heart issues and early death.  Most vets are hesitant to bring up a pets weight unless it is a real problem because it tends to be a sore subject with many owners.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@eddyandme 

For weight loss you can substitute part of the normal food amount with canned (NO SALT), fresh,or frozen green beans, green peas, or carrots. Also useful as treats.

In addition - love cucumbers, broccoli, tomatoes, cabbage, kale (or other green), sweet potatoes, corn, celery. Really almost all veggies, except mushrooms.

Fruit - citrus, figs, any melon, apple slices, pineapple, all berries.

NO GRAPES! RAISINS! NUTS.

It surprises people who see them eat all this, but it is a regular part of their diet.  After all, they are omnivores.

Happy exploring!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy, Eddy isn't that much overweight.  Because of his previous injuries the vet wants him to be thin like an athlete.

Esteemed Contributor

@Drythe, Eddy's been dining on veggies since he came here.  His favorite veg is air-fried brussell sproutsWoman LOL.  Loves them!

Thanx.

Honored Contributor

@eddyandme wrote:

@Drythe, Eddy's been dining on veggies since he came here.  His favorite veg is air-fried brussell sproutsWoman LOL.  Loves them!

Thanx.

@eddyandme 

GOOD BOY!!!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras