Honored Contributor

Re: FRUIT SNACKS FOR FURBABIES

[ Edited ]

Usually when I change something about my dog's diet, whether it's the amount or type of food, I do it gradually by replacing or eliminating bits at a time. That way it's not such a shock. Eventually they get use to whatever you're giving them as long as they get something.

Honored Contributor

My dog loves raw broccoli stalks.  She chews on them like a chewy bone.  I prefer veggies over fruits due to the lower sugar (and calorie) count.

As for cookies, I've switched to the lower fat type and have been getting the mini size rather than the large ones.  My dog is big, but she'd rather get a tiny treat than none.

Super Contributor

Our Vet recommened Frozen green beans. Our dogs go crazy for the frozen green beans. They also love getting a couple of cooked green beans with thier dinner.

I tried givng our pups left over broccoli, they threw it up. Also they can't do raw carrots tummy can't handle it.

I do make homemade doggy treats for special occasions. with sweet potato and peanut butter in it

Another thing they love is ice.

Esteemed Contributor

Our dog eats part of a pear just about daily.  DH generally has one at lunch and gives him a nice chunk.  He loves it.  He eats most any vegetable, though he does not particularly enjoy brussels sprouts.  I understand!

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Yes, I'll second frozen green beans! My slightly overweight Cavalier LOVES them with an occasional blueberry thrown in. I get the French cut, but if your dog is bigger, then the regular frozen beans will be fine. No defrost is needed. 

Honored Contributor

@BostonMommy wrote:

Our Vet recommened Frozen green beans. Our dogs go crazy for the frozen green beans. They also love getting a couple of cooked green beans with thier dinner.

I tried givng our pups left over broccoli, they threw it up. Also they can't do raw carrots tummy can't handle it.

I do make homemade doggy treats for special occasions. with sweet potato and peanut butter in it

@BostonMommy 

Kingston also loves green beans in his food, although I've never thought to give them frozen, I'll have to try that!

He does love his veggies, including mixed vegetables, but I buy them in the frozen steam-in bags, to avoid all of the sodium and chemicals required in canned stuff.

Every time we have sweet potatoes, I always cook an extra for him, but he loves them dehydrated too, makes the slices chewy, like a treat.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Our dog eats part of a pear just about daily.  DH generally has one at lunch and gives him a nice chunk.  He loves it.  He eats most any vegetable, though he does not particularly enjoy brussels sprouts.  I understand!

@Sweetbay magnolia, Eddy LOVES brussel sprouts!!!  I air fry them and he just devours themWoman LOL.

Esteemed Contributor

I must confess, @PhilaLady1 , I'm not strictly following her instructions.

If I sometimes make a beef stew or shephard's pie or another casserole type thing, I would adjust the recipe and share with Eddy.  So, I will refrain from that type of food for awhile.

Eddy has always had a combo of kibble (for vitamins) along with "people" food; and, I'm gonna continue to do so.  I have broken his treats in half so that should help his weight.  And, I'm gonna add fruit to his diet - bout a bag of Cortlands today; but, won't dip them into yogurt will serve them just plain.

Everybody's given me so many good ideas.  I'm so grateful.  I agree, just can't take away all the goodies at once.  So, will continue with the eggs, tuna, meats and veggies plus add some fruit.

Got good news today, Eddy's tests came back great!  Just gotta work on the pain pills and already told vet will be given sporadically as needed.  I'm just so glad all came back well so figure what we were doing was working so we'll continue - just a little less here and there!

Super Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

@BostonMommy wrote:

@BostonMommy 

Kingston also loves green beans in his food, although I've never thought to give them frozen, I'll have to try that!

He does love his veggies, including mixed vegetables, but I buy them in the frozen steam-in bags, to avoid all of the sodium and chemicals required in canned stuff.

Every time we have sweet potatoes, I always cook an extra for him, but he loves them dehydrated too, makes the slices chewy, like a treat.

Oh! I want to try dehydrating some sweet potatoes for my pups. They do love to chew! Thanks @KingstonsMom

Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

Our pups also enjoy bananas, carrots, string beans, asparagus, sweet potatoes, blueberries, cranberries, cukes,cantelope, peaches. pears, strawberries and pineapple.  You might want to try frozen peas as well.  I would suggest that if you have a safety question just google to be sure the food is safe for dogs.