Honored Contributor

FL Bans Greyhound Racing by 2020

[ Edited ]

Florida voters overwhelmingly approved a measure on the ballot on Tuesday to ban greyhound racing throughout the state by the end of 2020 - though some warn dogs may be left homeless as a result.

Amendment 13, which required 60 per cent support in Tuesday’s voting, unexpectedly received a whopping 69 per cent, easily ensuring passage.

That means that the 11 greyhound racing tracks in Florida will be put out of business within the next two years, according to NBC News.

Now the challenge will be to find new homes for the up to 7,000 greyhound dogs who will be unemployed.

We will do everything we can do to make sure that every one of them gets adopted,’ Jim Gartland, the executive director of the National Greyhound Association, told NBC News.

Gartland said that 98 per cent of retired racing dogs are adopted by families while the remaining 2 per cent spend the rest of their days as breeders on farms.

Animal rights groups said that they have been inundated with phone calls from people expressing interest in owning greyhounds.

‘They’re amazing pets, so gentle and sweet,’ said Kate MacFall, the head of the Humane Society Florida.

‘They really are gentle giants.’

But there is also the issue of the thousands of greyhounds that are currently in breeding farms across parts of the South and Midwest.

Commercial dog racing has been banned in 40 states and more race track closures are expected.

That means the greyhounds, especially the newly bred animals that never make it to the track, will need new homes.

‘This will be a burden,’ said Brooke Stumpf, the president of GreytHounds of Eastern Michigan, an organization that facilitates greyhound adoptions.

We're mobilizing now.’

Stumpf said that while her group usually arranges up to 50 adoptions a year, she will now aim for 200 adoptions.

‘We'll do the best we can,’ she said.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6366031/Greyhound-racing-set-banned-Florida-end-2020-leavin...

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Respected Contributor

Re: FL Bans Greyhound Racing by 2020

thanks to the greyhound group, the people of FL and thank God!

Honored Contributor

This is some of the best news I've heard in a long time!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree!Heart

I have faith that between animal rescue groups, no kill shelters and the animal lovers across the country, they will help them find homes!

I have a good friend who rescues former racing greyhounds and they are just so sweet, calm and loyal!

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

@KingstonsMom wrote:

I agree!Heart

I have faith that between animal rescue groups, no kill shelters and the animal lovers across the country, they will help them find homes!

I have a good friend who rescues former racing greyhounds and they are just so sweet, calm and loyal!

Me too.  And you are so right!

Honored Contributor

I couldn't wait! Voting YES! Stopping this inhumane sport. 

Valued Contributor

Yeah!!! FINALLY!!!! May it spread to the other states and the rest of the world!!!

Super Contributor

Thank God

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@KingstonsMom wrote:

Florida voters overwhelmingly approved a measure on the ballot on Tuesday to ban greyhound racing throughout the state by the end of 2020 - though some warn dogs may be left homeless as a result.

Amendment 13, which required 60 per cent support in Tuesday’s voting, unexpectedly received a whopping 69 per cent, easily ensuring passage.

That means that the 11 greyhound racing tracks in Florida will be put out of business within the next two years, according to NBC News.

Now the challenge will be to find new homes for the up to 7,000 greyhound dogs who will be unemployed.

We will do everything we can do to make sure that every one of them gets adopted,’ Jim Gartland, the executive director of the National Greyhound Association, told NBC News.

Gartland said that 98 per cent of retired racing dogs are adopted by families while the remaining 2 per cent spend the rest of their days as breeders on farms.

Animal rights groups said that they have been inundated with phone calls from people expressing interest in owning greyhounds.

‘They’re amazing pets, so gentle and sweet,’ said Kate MacFall, the head of the Humane Society Florida.

‘They really are gentle giants.’

But there is also the issue of the thousands of greyhounds that are currently in breeding farms across parts of the South and Midwest.

Commercial dog racing has been banned in 40 states and more race track closures are expected.

That means the greyhounds, especially the newly bred animals that never make it to the track, will need new homes.

‘This will be a burden,’ said Brooke Stumpf, the president of GreytHounds of Eastern Michigan, an organization that facilitates greyhound adoptions.

We're mobilizing now.’

Stumpf said that while her group usually arranges up to 50 adoptions a year, she will now aim for 200 adoptions.

‘We'll do the best we can,’ she said.

Amendment 13, which required 60 per cent support in Tuesday’s voting, unexpectedly received a whopping 69 per cent, easily ensuring passage. The above photo shows greyhounds awaiting their races in a kennel in Melbourne, Florida

Florida voters overwhelmingly approved a measure on the ballot on Tuesday to ban greyhound racing throughout the state by the end of 2020 - though some warn dogs may be left homeless as a result. The above image is a  photo of racing dogs in Melbourne, Florida in February

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6366031/Greyhound-racing-set-banned-Florida-end-2020-leavin...

Thank God..praying they find new homes...they're so beautiful. Greyhound racing should be banned everywhere! Now..what about horse racing??? The carriage horses too...many in New York drop dead..from the heat, overworked, dehydration etc!!!! Woman Sad

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

Thank goodness as it is about time.  My neighbor rescues greyhounds and they are such sweet dogs, even with the life that they led before finding their way to her home.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!