Super Contributor
@pic123 - I am sorry to hear about your experience. Years ago, my neighborhood area was like a war zone from Fathers Day on. I took my twin sister away. Although things have improved greatly, I always dread the Fourth. Caring about the hurt to people (including veterans) is not an issue — it’s all about money and revenue for the states and some people who love them and really don’t care about upsetting others. It’s really sad.
Super Contributor

Thanks. Last night was terrible. They were going off for 6 hours straight. How can people afford to do that. I have 2 more days that out county lets then shoot them off.

Honored Contributor

7FADCC79-4A2E-48F4-9883-65F7474C0F76.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

I got Belle, my Morkie, a thunder vest and the collar with Adaptil.

Has helped alot! She still goes into the bathroom....but she now lays on the carpet instead of hiding behind the toliet.

She isn't running around frantically from room to room panting either....

Super Contributor

It hasn't started on Maui yet. I put Mosey's new thundershirt on her about 3:00. And I just dosed her with calming chews and Trazadone Rx at 4:45 as instructions on Rx said 2 hours before sunset which is around 7:00. I hope it doesn't wear off before then.

I have space made in our bedroom closet and her bed set up in there.  "Calm My Dog Music" is playing on youtube on my desktop computer in our bedroom and regular TV is on pretty loud. I have massaged calming oils behind her ears.

All doors and windows are closed.  It will get hot in here as we have no A/C but fans are blasting.

That's all I can do as I can't really do what I would like to do to my neighbors.

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Honored Contributor

@MrsSB 

It's horrible over here on O'ahu, too.  What kind of calming chews do you buy?  I know it's too late for tonight, but I'm thinking ahead to New Year's Eve.  These savages in our town don't give a ****** about dogs, kapuna, veterans or people in general.  All they want to hear are the loud booms that sound like a bomb going of outside our front door.

We keep all windows shut, turn on all fans and AC & keep the TV on a little louder than normal.

I hope everything goes okay tonight for y'all.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

...and now the loud booms are starting and Toby is terrified.  Savage neighbors. 😢

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Super Contributor

@SurferWife - Yes very LOUD ones now.  I could almost tolerate it and it wouldn't be quite so tramatic for Mosey if the @ssh01#s who live here would just keep it to some of the more light weight legal kind. She is so traumatized.

The chews I have are from Natural Dog Co. I order from them on line.  Wonderful company with great CS. These chews would probably work better for more normal run of the mill anxiety inducing situations. 

The former and current and still "MrsSweetieBear".
Valued Contributor

I am SO glad the Fourth of July festivities are over (I hope, anyway). My Clara is terrified! I have to give her trazodone to calm her down but I see how cruddy it makes her feel the next day. I have tried other things with no help. We laid on the floor next to my bed last night until we both fell asleep. Poor baby just shook and shook. :-( 

Respected Contributor

@mspatmac wrote:

Fortunately Murphy isn't bothered much by thunder or fireworks.  He does make sure he is close to me. We'll be fine.

The only time he freaked out was when we had a hail storm with wind and it sounded like surround sound.  He couldn't tell where the sound was coming from.

I believe that animals in general, (cats, dogs) need to know where a potential enemy is approaching from.  I saw you alluded to this in your post and I've always believed this.  If they can't pinpoint the sound, they get more on high alert.  Great that your pet wasn't much bothered by the fire works.