Respected Contributor

Re: FESS UP. DOES YOUR DOG SLEEP WITH YOU?

No. He crossed over the Rainbow Bridge when he was 17 years old. That was four years ago. However, when he was here he slept in his own bed. He wasn't allowed in our bed or on the furniture except for his own bean bag chair. We loved him very much and he was with us since he was eight weeks old but dh and I did not allow him access to our bed or furniture. I know now a days many pet owners allow their pets access to their beds and furniture and treat them like humans, including my sister and brother and his family but considering a dog's habits I don't find it aesthetically pleasing or sanitary. We also taught him to be well mannered and obedient. Not to jump all over guests as my sister and brother's big dogs do. They jump all over the furniture, bark, seek attention like rude,undisciplined children, to the point where you can hardly talk. My sister actually cut one of the drapes in her living room so that her pet could sit on the sofa and look out the window. I've seen them play with the dog and then touch food. I rarely visit their homes because being there usually triggers my asthma due to the doggy smells that are embedded in the furniture. Not trying to offend anyone, just answering the OP's question with MY explanation. I'm always surprised at how many people treat their pets this way. Where I come from, when I was growing up, I didn't know anyone who thought it acceptable except for maybe someone who had a toy breed. One more thing, I hate it when I go to someone's home and when I leave, my clothes are covered with dog hair.  Believe it or not, not everyone thinks your "furbaby" is cute!

I guess I'm in for some bashing nowSmiley Happy

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Respected Contributor

@qvcfreak wrote:

@BornToShop, aw even the toy sleeps in bed, too cute

@qvcfreak, that is Walter The Farting Dog sleeping with my girls & DH & I !  Years ago there was a children's book series based on Walter that at the time my son was infatuated with.  Yes, the toy does fart...!  My girls are obsessed with Walter as you can tell.  

Esteemed Contributor

@BornToShop, You just gotta love Walter

Respected Contributor

Once upon a time I shared a king size bed with two black Labradors and two Cairn Terriers. Hubby was down the hall in another bedroom sleeping with yet another Cairn. Crazy days indeed! I thought they'd never end. But sadly, they did.

Esteemed Contributor

I had a beautiful, friend, companion, one of the family rescue dog for 18 years. He always slept at the bottom of our Queen size bed.

The funny thing, @Shanus, if you happened to just lightly touch him while turning, he got real mad and growled at you. Smiley Happy I always said, "How dare you?" 

Honored Contributor

@febe1. Maybe he had a rough life before his forever home with you. He could have experienced being startled many times while he was sleeping. I'm sure he appreciated the cozy spot you provided for him at the foot of your bed.

Honored Contributor

@pupwhipped. Sorry the fun had to end.

Honored Contributor

@BornToShop I have the book about Walter. Sadie and Molly read it to the granddaughters. They love the story.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shanus wrote:

@febe1. Maybe he had a rough life before his forever home with you. He could have experienced being startled many times while he was sleeping. I'm sure he appreciated the cozy spot you provided for him at the foot of your bed.

I had him a long time, @Shanus, but I would have loved to have had him l8 more. Such a remarkable and loved pet. What a communicator. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@febe1 So happy you did have those wonderful years and great memories of him. We all wish we could hold on to our "buddies" forever.